CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Greetings All,No your not getting drafted...My 02 Eldorado has issues.I tried turning the mist tab on the turn lever and my hazard lights came on.When this happened,my signal lights acted like the hazard lights.Both blinking when signaling right or left.The windshield wipers are not working now either.  I pulled the hazard fuse and the turn signals do work but,no headlights.Tail lights work.Hazards go on and off properly..   I can't figure out what's wrong..  I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to fix the problem..Thank You..

I think it would be an easy fix, if I remember right u are able to pop the lever out by pulling strait out. use your own discretion on just how much pull you feel comfortable with, I don't think the price of the part will break the bank and its an easy, "I can do it myself " fix.

Check your repair manual I believe thats where I read it.

Mmmm.......I disagree......I think something broke in the turn signal switch assembly.....almost 20 years old. 

The 02 Eldo was still using a GM Saginaw steering column.....used for a million years at GM....turn signal....cancel cam....hazards....horn....air bag......and....oh yeah...add tilt and wipers too......all built into the same switch assembly.

Pic shows a 67 GTO version of the same switch.....not the exact same but pretty close. They are a bear to change.....there is also long harness that runs down the inside of the column.

67gto.JPG

I think you're right..Are the turn signal and hazard switch separate from the wiper switch or are they the same thing??  I'm eliminating the lever from the equation even though I bought a new one,it's enroute..Replacing the actual switch or switches are a lot of work.First,the steering wheel has to come off and a special tool is needed..                I was really hoping that the answer was as in the 1st. response...Anyone know a good electrical mechanic in the Myrtle Beach area??

Yes.....they are tangled together. 

Wide variety of versions used over the 35+ years the column was around  (in fact....02 Eldo might be the last GM car to use the Saginaw column..).....some with plug in stalks....some with screwed in stalks. Wiper control....cruise control...air bag coil assembly...etc.

Fixing is not for the faint at heart.....need air bag tool....steering wheel puller....lock plate tool just to get the ball rolling. 

Second pic shows 1997 STS.....you can see the air bag coil....the switch is hard to see floating in the air over the radio..

gmswitch.jpg

column.JPG

Yep,you're right...I'm collecting the switches turn signal, wiper washer,cam,lever and going to bring it to a repair shop..Way over my expertise..

No idea why they made the harness that way.

2 plugs would have even been twice as good.

It is nearly impossible to get the new harness down through the saginaw column.

Not to mention that plug breake easier than one would think

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Nearly impossible?So,what to do?  I was thinking to do it like I did on my 85 El Camino and attach a string or wire to the connector or make a long hook from a hanger..There are detailed directions on Alldata on how to...Anyway I'm going to take it in and pay a mechanic to do it...Keeping these older cars running is not easy but worth it.

Archived