CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

tech2 made by HP

There are actually several different legit sources of Tech 2s over the years. There are also Chinese fakes all over eBay (with equally fake HP labels). 

Most Tech 2s on eBay and Craigslist etc are fakes.  One guy got some prison time for selling fake GM Tech 2s.

There are legit versions made by Vetronix, HP and Aligent.  

There are GM, Saturn, Vaxhaul and SAAB dealer logo labeled units. There are also a few OTC and Mac Tool label versions. 

The Tech 2 dates back to the mid 90's. So the software is really what will determine if it will work on a 2004 XLR. There are very early 10mb version and latter 32mb version PCIMA software cards. 

There are also several special adapters used by a few vehicle applications over the years. There is also a CANDI module adapted over the years to cover GM CAN equipped vehicles. 

2012-2013 was pretty much the last years of coverage for GM vehicles.

The real fire sale on legit Tech 2s was when GM forced a bunch of GM dealers to close. I bought 2 from a closing Saturn dealer in Illinois. 

Pic shows rare 'Saturn' logo version of the tool. 

Anyway....what are you hoping to use the Tech 2 for on the XLR? 

gmtech2700.jpg

FIRST OF ALL THANKS FOR THE REPLY & info and ur second ?? im one of those guys that trys to do anything and everything my 84 yr old dads still the same way. so i gota get on my xlr. have water leak in engine somewhere got a feeling its gona break me down. i tell all my buddys that if it didnt look the way it dos . i wud drive rite into my river  but the look kills me. once again thank you

keith

hello hope u dont get upset but could use u xpertezzz again would this work for xlr if at the must couldn't i just get the rite card that fits in scanner for all the infomation for my xlr?                                                                                                                                                                                            Tehttp://www.obd16shop.com/upload/pro/201501/gm-tech2-self-test.pdfch2 Diagnostic Scanner for GM (Works with http://www.obd16shop.com/upload/pro/201501/gm-tech2-self-test.pdfGM/SAAB/OPEL/SUZUKI/ISUZU/Holden)r 

thanks for your help tryn not to get beatup $$$ to much

keith

Pretty sure your looking at a source for a Chinese clone Tech 2. 

No way to get it fixed if it breaks. 

Very crafty situation......Why sell fake Sony TVs when you can sell fake GM Tech 2s on eBay for thousands of dollars?....by the time anyone figures out it's a fake unit.....money is gone....seller is gone.

They got away with it for several years before being exposed.....fakes are a dime a dozen now. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just got a snapon solus 6.2elite from a buddy of mine sed i shud c wat i cud do. it has all hardware ,adpters,software set of all kinda keys to go into GM adpter.never worked with anything like this wow,have lota  info i gota read started to put the vin # in and got alittle wild kept sayn no comunication yet. so i just stopped and sed i'll try again when im alittle calmer. put software in laptop it dos hv some info on my 2004xlr.hopefully when my brain starts workin i'll c where i can go with this. Anybuddy try using a Solus or somthing simular if ur reading this letme kno. 

thanks keith

• 4 weeks later...

Your Snap-on diagnostic tool isn't going to cut it for the XLR.  Your best bet is to buy a (cheap) Tech 2 clone w/a pre-programmed 2MB PCMCIA car installed along with a CANDi interface module.  The Tech 2 alone won't do squat, so a set of factory service manuals are required to decipher what the error codes (DTCs) mean and how the sub-systems operate. Manuals are available @ helminc.com.

The 2004-2005 XLRs are not only the most numerous, (accounting for more than half of all produced) but the most prone to problems - especially with the folding top.  By 2006, GM got the bugs out.  A Tech 2 is ideal for re-calibrating the folding top after a sensor is replaced.  It takes longer to connect and configure the Tech 2 than it does to re-calibrate the top.

The down-side is many XLR-specific parts are no longer stocked by GM.  This can be a nightmare where head and tail lights are concerned.  Used assemblies can run as high as $5k! 

Good luck!

CC

Thanks for reading my post and for the information you gave me. Had a few  Tech2  in mind but every time i asked a few? ?? There comeback  kinda saced me dont mind spending money on tools but man i cant stand buying things on line. Man that makes me nerves. Hate to just give my $$ away. First time i bought anything was for my first infiniti. They sent me wrong front axle.  I sent it back and they sent rite one. Still im nerves.    Youre rite with that snapon  it was nice my buddy letme use it but i got alittle nuts. so i just sed thanks but here take it home. i was trying to get manuals used somewhere but so far nothing so if i have to i'll pay full price.                                                                                                                                thanks again for youre help keith

• 7 months later...

I personally got a BAFX bluetooth OBDII adapter and use it with my android phone. I got the Torque Pro app on Google Play. It also works with my Windows laptop with Scan XL. The adapter and Torque Pro cost me about $30.00 and has worked on everything I have put it on including my 2005 Deville and a 2015 Buick Regal. It is not as comprehensive as a Tech 2, but for checking codes and live data stream it works very well. Just my 2 cents.