CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Disable Brake to Shift/Auto Door Lock Feature

Any way to disable the brake to shift/auto door lock feature?

My 94 Buick has this feature and it quit working yet it keeps the relay (which I cant find) energized

and it kills the battery overnite.  I had to pull the main acc. relay in the fuse center to kill the BTSI

relay and the battery drain.  Pulling this relay also kills the rear defrost, power seat, etc.

I wonder if this is similar to my Deville or is there a simple procedure to kill the BTSI/auto lock?

Checked the owners manual and the FSM and the only mention is a visit to a GM dealer.

I dont have a OBD 1 scanner tool and have been unsuccessful in finding the correct

OBD1 patch cord for my OBD 2 scan unit.

Any pointers?

93 DeVille-13 Chevy Impala

72 GTO - 77 Triumph Bonneville

84 Z-28

Syracuse NY

• 1 month later...

I have not done this, however. I'm betting there is a simple switch on the gear shift or linkage. Get a schematic and check the color coding of the wiring. Maybe disconnect it and rule out what if affected and what is not. If it is not integrated into the body control computer, and simply and electrical switch, it can simply be disconnected.

Even in my Buick or Caddy FSM I cant find any reference to disable the BTSI . I tried the three column mounted relays in the Buick and no dice to disable

the BTSI or the power drain.  I do see another relay on the Buick thats mounted to the right front bulkhead next to the power antenna relay (I had to

disconnect because of a failed antenna and another power drain) but will have to tear the dash apart again to get to it!  I suspect the Caddy may

have a BTSI relay there also.

The Caddys BTSI hasnt failed yet but it seems to be touchy at times! 

I have to hit the brake pedal a time or 2 to shift out of park.

Its been too cold and massive snow fall to take off the hush panel and try to disconnect the BTSI relays under the dash.

The FSM has a flow chart to test the BTSI tho!

I do have a nice warm garage but I dont wanna put my Z-28 or GTO out in da blizzard as they are sleepin' for the winter!

So repair is on the back burner for now!

I know the trick how to shift out of park if it fails. 

Turn key, unlock column, shift to neutral, start car and done!

Its 26 years old.  I can deal with it cuz the car is so nice!

93 DeVille-13 Chevy Impala

72 GTO - 77 Triumph Bonneville

84 Z-28

Syracuse NY

Archived