CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cadillac shows photo of its first electric car of the future

7ef8c21a-be6a-4f00-a80f-0c033ca8b96a-GM_

Cadillac on Sunday unveiled the brand's first electric vehicle and said it will be General Motors' leader in designing and launching EVs going forward.

GM CEO Mary Barra said Cadillac will be known by consumers for its innovation.

"Taking the lead in innovation and technology will make Cadillac Cadillac again," Barra told reporters at a media event in Detroit where the EV was shown along with Cadillac's new 3-row SUV the XT6.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/general-motors/2019/01/13/cadillac-gm-electric-car-future/2566856002/

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Moving Cadillac/GM into the future is starting with an EV of crossover styling; this is a major paradigm shift for Cadillac, one which has been traditionally a stoic reflection of the best you could produce as a car.  As it was presented, It looks like a plan, and the execution looks solid but hoping that the new platform will be as versatile as it appears, and that the battery solution works better than anything out there today.  These future electrics, while still being touted as our automotive savior,  will live or die with batteries and how they evolve and how they move forward.  In my opinion, they still need a lot of work; maybe this is the beginning of that work.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

I was surprised when GM didn't elect Cadillac as the obvious Batttery Electric or hybrid champion from the start.  Knowing that there is some increased cost for early adopters, and technology maturation needed, Cadillac seemed ideal for the role as opposed to Chevrolet & the Volt approach.  That said, as long as gas prices are low in the US, which I believe will stay true over the mid term, trucks or crossovers are out selling cars.  So an electric crossover, if done in a sexy way, can be successful.

Bruce

I think you are spot on Bruce.  And had Cadillac entered with the ELR at a more representative price of say starting at 55'ish instead of 75 (and higher) Cadillac might have been able to provide 'itself' as a leader (instead of fancified Volt) follower.  Perhaps I'm a bit naïve, and making remarks in hindsight, but GM is supposed to have top talent to foresee such strategies.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

I am interested to see the new Battery Electric Cadillac.  Bench marking on the Tesla offerings is not all bad.

Bruce

Archived