CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1998 sts

DWS

I'm new to the site and noticed a lot of good information being exchange. Does anyone know a good place to reference bolt torque specifications for a Cadillac. I have a 98 STS that I replaced a fuel pressure regulator on. While removing the cover over the intake manifold, all four bolts securing the cover came loose from the intake instead of at the top nut that secures the cover. I called the dealer and was told 89 inch lbs, but all the other bolts are much looser than that. Does anyone know if that sound right.

Thanks,

DWS

All six of the intake maniflod bolt shoudl be tightened to 89 in lb's. The description in my service manual is not very good, but it appears that 4 of the 6 bolts have the additional threads on them for the cover. Those 4, and the other two must all be tightened to the same spec. I got his information of of my service manual I have for my car, whcih is also a '98 STS.

edit, now it looks like there are 6 regular bolts, four studs, and 2 spacers. I'm not entirely sure what any of that means, as these service manuals are not very well thought out, but it says that the bolts, AND studs all get tourqued to 89 in lb's. The four studs they are reffering to, I assume are bolts with additional threads protruding from the top to bolt down the cover.

Important:

When tightening the intake manifold bolts and studs, start at the center of the manifold and work your way outward in a circular pattern.

Only tighten the intake manifold bolts when the engine and manifold are cool. Do not tighten the intake manifold bolts and studs with the engine at operating temperature.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

Install the intake manifold, six bolts and four studs.

Tighten the bolts and studs to 10 Nm (89 inch lbs.) This is from ALLDATA. George

Thanks for the info, I tightened all 6 bolts and 4 studs to 89 in lbs. I don't know why, but all the bolts and studs were practically hand tight. Each bolt turned about 1 1/2 turns before tightening to 89 in lbs. Hopefully this isn't a common problem. I bought my sts used with 32k miles, and as far as I know the intake has never been removed.

Thanks again,

DWS

Archived