CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

cooling fan noise

rbrantlee

Has anyone ever noticed an intermittent noise in the front end that sounds like the cooling fan is hitting something? It happens about once a week or so. I can never get it to happen when I'm trying to show it to someone. Both fans spin freely and I can see no obstructions. It goes away on its own after about 5 minutes. Do I have a fan that's about to go? Thanks.

With the engine and key in the OFF position, slowly spin the fan by hand and listen for any (rubbing) noise.

I would start with the fan on the passenger side. If the fan has ever been removed, or work done it the area, it is easy for someone to have not positioned the fan connection wire harness back in its correct position.

If the wire harness is not held in place, the outer ring of the fan will rub the wiring. After a while it will of course wear through and you will start experiencing overheating problems.

I have done this and at least one other person I know of has had this problem. Fortunately it was noticed and fixed before wearing completely through the wiring harness.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

My 98 sts has the same noise. I haven’t invested mush time in finding it yet, but I have narrowed it down to the right side (passenger side) fan. Your posting reminded of the problem that I tend to forget about because it's intermitting. I'll see if I can take a look at mine today because it is annoying and could potentially lead to bigger problems. I'll let you know if I find anything that may help.

I took a look at the fans and found the passenger side fan blade is hitting the shroud due to the radiator being loose and position too low. Check your upper radiator mounts (located under the black plastic radiator shroud near the hood latch) and see if your radiator has dropped below the mount brackets. You can also place your hand under the radiator and gently (not to damage any fins) lift up to measure the play. Mine has approximately 2” play allowing the radiator to flop around while driving. This might explain why the noise is intermitting. I engaged the fan at the fan relay while the engine was off, and I could eliminate the noise by lifting the radiator up to the position of the top mounts. There are two additional mounts on each side of the radiator that have rubber insulators that the radiator rests on. My guess is that these insulators are worn out. It’s Sunday, so I won’t know for sure until I can look at a new one tomorrow (dealer item I’m sure). Anyway, I just thought I might give ya’ll somewhere to start. Sorry for the long reply, but I wanted to try to get as much detail as possible.

Archived