I purchased a 1976 Cadillac Eldorado and the body is in good condition except the filler sets on both front and rear, which require replacement.  I wondered if anyone could advise on the following:

1. Should I use fibreglass or ABS Plastic?  I see ads for both options and each claims superiority.  Any experiences with either greatly appreciated.

2. Does anyone recommend a particular source for these items?

3. Are there any tricks and techniques for removal and replacement, once painted.

I also wondered why these parts failed when the car is otherwise in good shape...just general interest.

I don't think any owners here have ever had a Cadillac of that era. I cannot remember this issue coming up in discussion before. 

That said....it's a well known and common problem the flexible plastic bumper fillers would rot away on those Cadillacs. I still remember seeing them as a kid...the 2 rear chrome bumper fins out there all alone...

5 mph impact absorbing bumpers were a fairly new requirement in 1973. 1974 required the rear too. Failure of mid 70's types of flexible plastics? UV damage? Don't know. It sure didn't take long on those Cadillacs.

There is a fairly large aftermarket industry making replacement filler parts for the Cadillacs. Several brands of replacements are available. I'm not sure anyone here would be able to recommend one brand or type over any other. 

bump2.JPG

bump.JPG

I would go for the plastic, but both would be sufficient.

I remember them also. Many Chevys out there with broken fillers. 

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Thanks so much to Logan Diagnostics for your explanation - I shared your information shown below with a friend who owns a Crossfire and may benefit from your services.

Thanks also to rockfangd for the recommendation and appreciate all your support.

I prefer the pvc for longevity because fiberglass tends to make the paint crack in places overtime. 

Thats just my experience anyway

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile