CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1996 Deville Bad Instrument Cluster

Rckjaws10

So like a lot of you here I am a Cadillac enthusiast and have used this site countless times for information for myself and helping others. I was a heavy line technician at Cadillac for five years and do head gasket stud repairs for side work when I can including on my Deville. I have taken apart and tinkered with nearly everything on this car but the cluster problem has by far been the most frustrating and difficult problem to solve over everything. Its been in virtually non running condition because of this for going on two years. To explain a bit better, the cluster began to go black intermittently while driving until eventually going on and staying out. All the A/C controls and fuel gauge panels are still on, just the green portion of the main cluster going out completely. I drove it this way for a while until finally the car would stall and not start due to the cluster losing communication with the ECM and other modules preventing it from running. Now I've done my best to try and fix it myself and haven't been able to. I have seen other threads where some people have had luck buying a used cluster and dismantling and swapping the boards to get the cluster on again while retaining their vehicles information. This only works if you keep your original board with the EPROM chips. Tried this with mine and problem was not just the display board but the EPROM board stopped working as well. The car runs but I only got it working by taking the ECM and the EPROM cluster board out of an Eldorado I had and putting them both into my Deville. The car runs but the check engine light is on and the A/C function buttons don't work obviously. Unfortunately I lost my job at Cadillac right when the cluster decided to go out otherwise I may have been able to do programming on it myself. So my question is does anyone know what my options to get my Deville running properly are? Do I need to get a used cluster and have it programmed at Cadillac or a speedometer shop to work with my car and ECM? I also have a resistor in place for the VATS because the cluster in my car has the Eldorado cluster in it. Been trying to sort this out forever and am hoping some people here have experienced this or can give some insight into what to do. One more question also, on these Northstar system ECMs theres a little panel that can be unbolted and a plastic chip that can be unplugged from the board of the ECM.. somewhere along the line with me trying to puzzle pieces together to get it running I misplaced that original chip for my Deville ECM, when I am ready to use my original ECM can I unplug the same chip from the donor ECM and plug into mine without any issues? Hope all that makes sense for anyone readying and thanks in advance for any help!

I don’t have my original cluster anymore, another part of the problem. If there’s no way to get a used one and reprogram it, I’m thinking I may have to find a parts vehicle 96 Deville and get both the cluster and the ECM from the same vehicle. That way the codes for the two will match

Archived