CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Sunroof leak in the CTS!

sprucegoose

OK, so I discovered my first serious issue with the 2009 CTS I just purchased. When I got in it the other day after a heavy rain I noticed it smells fairly damp. Once I opened the trunk and look down in the spare tire well I was shocked to find over an inch of water! 

Been doing some research it sounded like the drain tubes that passed down through the rear fender wells in the trunk could be plugged. I ran some thin tubing back-and-forth through the exit and the line running up to the sunroof. Got nothing coming through after I reconnected

Now when I pour a bottle of water in the drip rail along the edge of sunroof I am getting a soaked ceiling headliner, dripping into the backseat! Help!!! 

I really hope I don’t have to pull the sunroof and or the headliner to find out where this leak is stemming from. My thoughts are that one of the drain tubes came disconnected up there  I really hope I don’t have to pull the sunroof and/or the headliner to find out where this leak is stemming from. My thoughts are that one of the drain tubes came disconnected up there. 

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

Certainly sounds like a sunroof seal issue rather than a clogged drain issue but yes I think you will almost certainly need to get in there and investigate 

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I would strongly recommend checking the connection from the tube to the sunroof.

I am finding that the tubes are shrinking and pulling apart.

It runs down the headliner, and soaks in the trunk. Cant count how many 00s GMs I have run into with the hoses pulled off the unit and at least 2" too short. Have to pull the C pillars and pull the tubing up to get it to fit again. I then ziptie the hose over the fittings in the corners. 

Good luck to you

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Thanks guys.  Yes, I think I'm going to have to pull the C Pillar trim like you suggest Rockfangd.  It sure sounds like that is what is happening... So booked with other things right now it may take me a while... In the mean time I've sealed the sunroof with electrical tape.  :ninja:

Is it easy to remove this trim? I sure hope not too big of a project! :unsure:

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

I know the feeling 100%. so much to do with not enough time to do it.

You will probably have to lower the B pillars, pull the C pillars, remove the handles, and drop the back half down enough to get between there. 

Wish I had a pic of one I did. It will for sure be obvious if that is your issue

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Archived