CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Well Done

JimD

18,000 pounds of fuel... 67 hours.... 23,000 miles.... hmmm that's 343 MPH

For him to sleep I guess it had autopilot :blink: Man that takes a set of brass ones.. Wowie

For those not paying attention, Fossett flew solo around the world:

"Steve Fossett has successfully landed the GlobalFlyer in Kansas, completing the record breaking flight and becoming the first person to successfully circle the earth in a nonstop solo flight. The journey of 37,000 kilometres has taken 67 hours, many of them fraught with anxiety over whether the custom-made GlobalFlyer aircraft had enough fuel for the trip. Fossett managed to touch down at 2:48 p.m. EST, to the delight of mission control staff, a small crowd and a marching band that had gathered at the airstrip to welcome him."

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Okay, I was going to say, "I'll take the bait -- who is Steve Fossett?" :)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Okay, I was going to say, "I'll take the bait -- who is Steve Fossett?"  :)

He's also the guy that broke the records when he recently flew that high altitude balloon around the world.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

For him to sleep I guess it had autopilot

I do not think he ever slept. Perhaps some drugs (prescription ;) ) helped him to stay awake.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I can't imagine him staying awake that long, I am sure there was a provision for auto-pilot, there has to be. The longest I have ever stayed awake was like 22 hours driving to and from Florida from NY and I conked out dead on my feet, 67 hours? wow

Although if you were worried about running out of GAS it would be hard to sleep...

He cat-napped for no more than several (one or two) minutes at any time. Drugs (Rx or otherwise) would be an invitation to disaster or disqualification from flight certification.

Modern autopilot, altitude-hold, and GPS systems technology software would give him a break from full time hands-on-the-stick flying. None of which minimizes the design package effort!

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Just congratulations on a historic feat. He must be a member of the order of Daedelus. The world is still becomming a smaller space. Onward all!

He slept up to one half hour at a time...

He said he slept keeping one eye on the instruments...

Did anyone see Branson HOSING HIM DOWN with Champagne?

It was great...

From what I have heard, there was no autopilot. He had to keep his hands on the controls the whole time. That was one condition of the record. He might have had alarms set up to tell him if he was climbing, diving, rolling, or turning. Loud enough to wake him up. I think he just got in a neutral position and closed his eyes when he could.

From what I have heard, there was no autopilot. He had to keep his hands on the controls the whole time. That was one condition of the record. He might have had alarms set up to tell him if he was climbing, diving, rolling, or turning. Loud enough to wake him up. I think he just got in a neutral position and closed his eyes when he could.

Imagine that? How many times have you slept through your alarm?

Archived