CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Fuel fill issue

rockfangd

Hi all. Know I posted this somewhere but I cannot find it. I find GM in general but not Cadillac.

I try to fuel my 97 Deville and all it does it keep kicking off the nozzle. It took me forever to pump 18 gallons the other night. I ended up barely squeezing the trigger just enough to get it to flow otherwise it would just pop.

It has done this before at the beginning of the season but seems to improve throughout the season. Well this year I want to figure it out. IIRC the canister is at the left rear somewhere. I had the tank down when I replaced the fuel pump module and there was nothing obvious there. I know I am not the only one that has had the issue. This is the first cadillac I have run into this issue with. Not sure if it is the vent solenoid, hose, canister... Hopefully just a blockage in a hose somewhere. 

Thanks all. 

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I occasionally get an early click-off if I'm fueling and the gas nozzle is at an up and down (12 o'clock/6 o'clock) position; if I tilt the nozzle to about 10 o'clock/4 o'clock my fill usually does  a lot better.  Certain nozzles, also,  seem to be more prone to doing this (if you typically fuel up at the same station, same nozzle, try a different one).  This happens (sometimes) on my '04 Olds Bravada as well as my '17 XT5.  Hope this helps; may or may not be your problem.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

I get my gas at the same company but many different locations. It only happens with this car. I have multiple vehicles and this is the only one.

Thanks for posting

GM FAN FOREVER

• 1 month later...

Today I finally took a few minutes to work on the fuel issue and I found a very obvious problem but have no idea if it can be related to the fuel fill issue.

I replaced the purge valve(engine bay) which is the only sensor I found listed and when I went to replace it I found that the nipple that comes off the valve and goes to the intake was broken off and had cracks throughout it.

I guess I will find out tomorrow if it makes any difference.

Surely must have caused a vacuum leak as the vacuum comes from the intake. 

Next step is to pull the lines off the canister and see if there is any issues there.

Did I mention I dont know what time is?

Update. Fueled up this morning. never clicked off at full flow. 17 gallons. Will have to keep my fingers crossed

GM FAN FOREVER

Archived