CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

mailbag: SRX shifter switch

2013 SRX:

Hello

We are working on a 2013 SRX which intermittently shows the " shift to park" message and keeps the instrument cluster powered up after shifting to park and shutting the engine off.  I understand this is likely an issue with the shift position sensor , loose connector or wear in the linkage.  Are these parts all in the shifter mechanism under the center console and if so how is that removed? Can the sensor me accessed without removing the full mechanism?  Do you sell these parts?

also It seems the message can be cleared buy opening the drivers door without moving the shifter so perhaps it's a computer problem

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

that sounds like a prndl or neutral safety switch issue.  occasionally moving gear selector several times through full travel can fix temporarily.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/cadillac,2013,srx,3.6l+v6,2002835,electrical-switch+&+relay,neutral+safety+switch+/+range+sensor,4584

cadillacs have retained power after engine off (so for example radio continues to play) until door opened so that may be what you are experiencing there.

Bruce

Bruce – Thank you for that info- that unit as shown on rockauto is basically the shift position sensor correct.  Is that also the “ neutral safety switch” you mentioned or is that a different part?  Are these under the center console on the shifter mechanism itself?   A dealer wants to replace the whole mechanism at 1300 dollars.  

Bruce

generally yes one switch does both purposes and is in center console.  I see there are videos on youtube for how to remove replace but have not reviewed to make sure right year or how useful

Bruce

Bruce -  I contacted a tech at one of the parts manufactures for the part you referenced on Rockauto.  As his notes below suggest that part may actually be a sensor inside the transmission called the Internal Mode Switch.  There is a Park (shift) position sensor with a different part under the console.  I will try to run that down and let you know. You may want to publish this info also.  The issue could be caused by either this sensor under the console called the “ Park Position Switch” on the drawings below or worn linkage going to the transmission preventing the “ internal mode switch” from being fully “made” when in the park position or the Internal Mode Switch itself.

If you have any info on what they call a Park Position Switch or a source for it please send that along.  See notes/drawing attached.

getPart?uid=358363&partId=2&scope=STANDA

Number 5 is what they are calling the park position switch.

There is also an internal mode switch that looks more like the part number you gave me.  It is located inside the transmission, number 2.

getPart?uid=358363&partId=3&scope=STANDA

Checking data PIDS with a scanner will help you isolate the problem.

Bruce

Bruce- I exposed the shifter assembly and there is lateral play in the bushing at the shifter output- does you kit include a bushing for that end also?  Do you know how the cable bushing is held in place on that end- it appears to be a small push nut .

Bruce

I don't completely understand what you are descrbing, but that sounds as if the mechanism is not functioning properly.

This image shows a zoom in detail.

Bruce

Archived