CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

TRACTION CONTROL 96 SLS

franey

I have a DTC 27 , code, LEFT FRONT WHEEL SPEED SENSORCONTINUITY MALFUNCTION. After going throuh the diagnostic for the code, it is apparent that the Electronic Brake and TRAction control Module has an internal short, which is causing the code to trip , as soon as you turn the ignition on. Is their any way to get first gear back , until i can get the EBTCM changed out. I live in a hilly area , and taking off in second, is a little hard on the transmission, I know I can manually do it, but my wife drives the car, and she does not feel comfortable doing this. ANYONE else face this problem and solve it?

Usually that means the sensor in the hub & bearing assembly is shot. Are you convinved it is the EBTCM? Sure would be a sin to R&R that $$$$ and have it be the hub & bearing. Do you have continuity through the plug on the hub?

I had replaced the hub bearing just last month and the continuity is within specs, at every time i have checked it , when the light is on. IF you have a SEVILLE or ELDO, only ,you can park the ignition switch between OFF and RUN , or turn your rear fan motor in the on position prior to turning the ignition from run to off . If either of these sets the code DTC 73 , then your EBTCM IS BAD. Every TIME I leave the rear fan on and turn the car to OFF, THE DTC 73 code sets, along with the DTC 27.

my abs and traction control light on my 96 eldo does the same thing. i have replaced the bearing and the wiring harness from the bearing to the ectbm and the lights still come on. the crazy part is when the tempature outside is below freezing the lights do not come on right away! they'll come on but its usually after running the car for about 5 minutes.

TRACTION CONTROL INDICATOR 'ON', DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE #63-50-16 - (Apr 26, 1996)

SUBJECT: TRACTION CONTROL INDICATOR "ON", DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) 73 SET (REPLACE EBTCM)

MODELS: 1996 CADILLAC CONCOURS, DEVILLE, ELDORADO SEVILLE

BUILT PRIOR TO VIN BREAKPOINTS:

CONCOURS/DEVILLE 280478 ELDORADO 614516 SEVILLE 826978

CONDITION:

SOME OWNERS MAY COMMENT ON THE TRACTION CONTROL INDICATOR COMING "ON". ALSO, DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) 73 MAY SET.

CAUSE:

AN EBTCM SOFTWARE DEFICIENCY MAY CAUSE A FALSE DTC 73 TO SET WHEN CERTAIN DRIVER INITIATED ACTIONS OCCUR IN THE NORMAL OPERATION OF THE VEHICLE. THIS MAY OCCUR IF THE IGNITION SWITCH IS "PARKED" BETWEEN THE RUN AND OFF POSITIONS OR ON CONSOLE BLOWER EQUIPPED VEHICLES IF THE BLOWER SPEED CONTROL IS LEFT IN THE HIGH POSITION WHEN THE IGNITION IS TURNED OFF.

IMPORTANT: IT IS NOT ALWAYS POSSIBLE TO CREATE THE CODE OR CAUSE THE TELLTALE TO LIGHT.

CORRECTION:

1. DETERMINE THE DTC 73 IS NOT SET BECAUSE OF A LEGITIMATE MALFUNCTION IN THE VEHICLE. PERFORM THE DIAGNOSTIC STEPS OUTLINED FOR DTC 73 IN SECTION 5E2 OF THE 1996 CADILLAC PRODUCT SERVICE INFORMATION MANUAL. ALSO REFER TO DTC 73 DIAGNOSTIC AIDS IN SECTION 5E2.

IMPORTANT: DO NOT CHANGE THE EBTCM UNTIL YOU HAVE READ THROUGH AND FOLLOWED THE SERVICE MANUAL TROUBLE TREE AND DIAGNOSTIC AID. CHANGING THE EBTCM BEFORE FOLLOWING THE PROPER DIAGNOSIS COULD LEAD TO UNNECESSARY TIME AND EXPENSE AND MAY NOT CORRECT THE CONDITION.

2. IF THE DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE TREE AND AID DOES NOT CORRECT THE CONDITION, CHECK THE EBTCM SOFTWARE LEVEL USING A SCAN TOOL OR ON-BOARD PARAMETERS: "TCS DATA PARAMETER TC D07, ECU ID B". IF THE PARAMETER READS "4065", REPLACE THE EBTCM WITH P/N 25633191. THE NEW MODULE WILL HAVE A PARAMETER VALUE OF "4205".

IMPORTANT: ANY VEHICLE BUILT AFTER THE ABOVE BREAKPOINTS WILL ALREADY HAVE THE UPDATED EBTCM. THE PART NUMBER HAS NOT CHANGED; HOWEVER, THE SOFTWARE HAS BEEN UPGRADED.

PARTS INFORMATION:

PARTS ARE CURRENTLY AVAILABLE FROM GMSPO.

WARRANTY INFORMATION:

FOR VEHICLES REPAIRED UNDER WARRANTY, USE:

LABOR OPERATION NUMBER: H2505 USE PUBLISHED LABOR OPERATION TIME.

Logan , thanks for the TECH bulletin, my car is also one of the ones built prior to the vin break point. My conclusion for the BAD EBTCM , was largely base on the fact that CIRCUIT number 830 , is showing 4.34 volts, at all connections in the circuit , well above the 1 volt max. After disconnecting the main EBTCM harness and probing pin 16 to the first disconnect of circuit 830 their is total continuity, and no voltage reading with the car elect. system powered up. Based on this , i concluded that the short to voltage is inside the EBTCM, not the wireing harness. I also probed PIN 16 to every other pin in the EBTCM, wireing harness and did not get any continuity tone. Every thing points to a bad EBTCM, if you have any thoughts in this regard about anything else i should try , I would greatly appreciate your help.

Archived