CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Falling Apart

rjhat

Well, im on a roll. So far I need to replace an o2 sensor (PO140 +PO139), front sway bar links, windshield, coolant reservoir, drivers side window controls, radiator, coolant reservoir cap (lost it this morning), EGR valve (PO404) and the drivers side seat heater. Most of this has happened in the past 3 weeks, exept for the sway bar links. Anyone have any suggestions?

Do not fix all together - too much stress. Address the issues step by step. I suggest windshield (what is it just a crack?) and cooling system first, then stab bar links (really easy fix), try to clean the EGR before replacing, ignore for a while o2 sensor if it does not agffect driveability seriously. If you can close the window do not touch the controls yet. Spring is coming, so leave the seat heater for the fall.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Well, im on a roll. So far I need to replace an o2 sensor (PO140 +PO139), front sway bar links, windshield, coolant reservoir, drivers side window controls, radiator, coolant reservoir cap (lost it this morning), EGR valve (PO404) and the drivers side seat heater. Most of this has happened in the past 3 weeks, exept for the sway bar links. Anyone have any suggestions?

This is part of owning a used car, its going to happen. I don't mean to sound cold or insensitive but my statement is, get used to fixing it or get rid of the car. If you do your own work it makes owning an older car palatable. Its part of owning a car that is 8 model years old. This is pretty normal.

On my 96, and in the last 30 days I have replaced a ball joint, strut rod bushings, stabilizer bushings, cleaned the EGR, front brakes.

I am about to do a hub bearing, struts, springs (not necessary but I am doing them anyway), rear stabilizer bar bushings, AC Compressor, Accumulator, tensioner, idler wheel, heater hoses (small silicone), thermostat, turn rear rotors, windshield, fake convertible top work, diagnose my twilight sentinal coming on during the day and diagnose oil and tranny leaks. Its part of having an older car.

Plastic gets old, brittle and cracks, bushings wear out, windshields are sand blasted and hit with rocks, anything that rotates needs replacement as the grease drys out or the bearings reach the end of their useful life. When the cost becomes prohibitive its time to get rid of it...

Early on sailors navigated by the stars at night and the North star became the symbol for finding ones way home. Once you know where the Northstar is you can point your ship in the right direction to get home. So the star became a symbol for finding ones way home or more symbolically even finding ones path in life.

hey scotty my lights are on duing the day i thought that this was normal when i start the car the lights come on i thought this was part of the new safety features

hey scotty my lights are on duing the day i thought that this was normal when i start the car the lights come on i thought this was part of the new safety features

Well yes, the daytime running lights are normal, but daytime running lights do not envoke your tail lights. I first noticed the problem because my tail lights where on during the day and headlights not daytime running lights are on. The twilight sentinal is delaying the turn off during the day... :blink: (a little hard on the battery) but I can always shorten the shutoff delay.

I am sure this is the sunload sensor I need to check the manual.. Mike

Early on sailors navigated by the stars at night and the North star became the symbol for finding ones way home. Once you know where the Northstar is you can point your ship in the right direction to get home. So the star became a symbol for finding ones way home or more symbolically even finding ones path in life.

As far as the egr goes, do you guys know exactly how much this can effect engine performance/gas mileage? Either way, I have to get the cooling system and emmisions system problems fixed immediately as my tag is due and the caddy has to pass an emmisions test. The codes for the o2 sensor (PO140,PO139) indicate the pre-converter sensor-correct me if im wrong. Unfortunately, the coolant leaks have been an issue from the start. Each time I make a repair it seems to spring another leak. I had to replace the water pump a few months ago, which was by far the easiest water pump I have ever changed.(after I got the tool)Dont get me wrong though, I love this car. Ive had it now for 2 years and until now I havent any expensive repairs until now.

Spray a bunch of WD-40 down into the window switches, and jiggle the toggles while you do so, and see if this clears up the problem. It has for me a number of times on old GM cars.

While I'm at it, I get out the little tube and stick it on, and spray WD into everything that moves - all levers, switches, toggles, latches, electrical contacts - and of course hinges - on the whole car. Even, for example, throttle cables and links and things. EVERYTHING. Alot of stuff then functions smoother on the car, especially on the dash and places like that. I do it about every four or five years.

Spray a bunch of WD-40 down into the window switches, and jiggle the toggles while you do so, and see if this clears up the problem. It has for me a number of times on old GM cars.

While I'm at it, I get out the little tube and stick it on, and spray WD into everything that moves - all levers, switches, toggles, latches, electrical contacts - and of course hinges - on the whole car. Even, for example, throttle cables and links and things. EVERYTHING. Alot of stuff then functions smoother on the car, especially on the dash and places like that. I do it about every four or five years.

Lubrication of the throttle cables is not recommended - at cold temps, the lube can cause the cable to bind. Also, any lubrication on the cable will attract dirt and crud like a magnet which can cause the cable to bind. The cable was designed to not require lubrication.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

WD-40 is barely a lubricant, really much more of a solvent than anything else. In fact, if sprayed on door hinges, might actually rinse some real lube away!

Good on switches & in lock mechanisms, but excels at dissolving glues, gums & tars ;)

Thanks for the input. Today I replaced the radiator, which wasn't too bad except for that one 7mm bolt on the side of the radiator holding one of the cooler lines. I also replaced the pre cat o2 sensor. I drove it in heavy traffic and then about 20 min down the freeway. So far no codes. That specific o2 sensor was incredibly easy to change. Only took about 5 minutes I reset the EGR code and im going to drive it awhile and see what happens. This is the first time I have seen that code, so i'll give it a chance.

I would like to know more about the driving cycle required before I go for an emissions test. Anyone have any info? What I would really like to know is if I can check for readiness from the DIC. Anyone know anything about that? any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would like to know more about the driving cycle required before I go for an emissions test. Anyone have any info? What I would really like to know is if I can check for readiness from the DIC. Anyone know anything about that? any help would be greatly appreciated.

The only thing I know about that is that you want to get the cat good and hot. Take it for a ride on the highway if you can before you take it in.

Go to www.obdii.com and follow the drive cycle link. My code reader reports the 5 readiness monitors by confirming that the computer has seen them, if the computer has found a error it will light the mil (malfunction indicater lamp) In order to see them after a repair or clearing codes you have to go on a gm drive cycle. Now I would assume a cadillac with a dic will run thru the drive cycle in the course of normal driving during a varible amout of time. I dont think the dic will tell you it has seen them all, You have to have a reader with a I\M moniiter status to do this. Mike

EGR has a lot to do with emission - your NO may be out of acceptable limit. In my car clogged EGR tubes set Service Engine Soon light and a EGR related code. I did not pass the emission test (while in NJ). I cleaned the tubes and the light disappeared. I think N* does not have EGR tubes in the throttle body but EGR valve itself is more vulnerable to clogging unlike in 4.9 motor. WOTs should help to get better emission as well as much as I know.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Ok, today I went to get the emissions test done, but the computer wasn't ready. I went out afterwards and drove the car about 100 miles in mixed driving including a few WOT's. I then went to the autoparts store and bought an OBDII scanner. I plugged it in and everything is reported ready except for the EGR system. I don't have any codes yet. Is it normal for the EGR to take longer to reach readiness than any of the other system? Any tips on getting the EGR system to report that its ready?

This is becoming an urgent issue as my tag is now expired and driving aroud trying to get it ready is becoming nerve racking for fear of being pulled over.

Ok, today I went to get the emissions test done, but the computer wasn't ready. I went out afterwards and drove the car about 100 miles in mixed driving including a few WOT's. I then went to the autoparts store and bought an OBDII scanner. I plugged it in and everything is reported ready except for the EGR system. I don't have any codes yet. Is it normal for the EGR to take longer to reach readiness than any of the other system? Any tips on getting the EGR system to report that its ready?

This is becoming an urgent issue as my tag is now expired and driving aroud trying to get it ready is becoming nerve racking for fear of being pulled over.

Are you getting any codes using the cars system? Have you cleaned the EGR? The P0404 code is EGR Flow CKT Range/Perf. You need to purchase an EGR gasket and take your EGR valve out and clean it, you also need to check all vacuum hoses and electrical connectors related to the EGR.. I could not find this code described in my manual at all, but its related to EGR Flow Performance, its either the EGR not opening all the way, or clogged passages, IMHO.. Mike

PS, you need to pull the fuel rail up to access the EGR, its not as big a deal as I originally thought to do that, you need a 10 MM deep socket

Thanks for the info Mike. Just to clarify, the EGR is attached to the thottle body? I not really sure how to identify it, as all searches for a picture of it have turned up nothing.

Ok see the two holes that is where the EGR is. That is a photo of the EGR valve pulled out. I carefully scraped the old gasket off (be careful not to scratch or gouge the gasket surfaces). As a point of reference the FPR is in the upper left hand corner of that photo...

The Fuel rail is held down by the four studs that hold the engine cover down on mine, remove the four studs, MARK the spark plug wires and remove the front four and fold them back toward the coils and gently lift up on the fuel rail.. That will give you clearance to get the EGR off..

post-3-1109971458_thumb.jpg

Then use a wire brush and clean the egr very good, including the pindle from the inside. I used a 22 caliber rifle cleaning round steel and brass to get in there (Hoppes). I was getting a different EGR code a pindle position code. Look at all of your vacuum hoses, electrical connectors for good connections. Here is what it looks like after I cleaned it. You may also need to clean the ports, I will find some information on that when I get a chance, I think the ports are in the crossover that the water pump shares... Mike

post-3-1109971958_thumb.jpg

Just to add a note....

When I did mine, a while ago, I was advised here to be Very Carefull NOT to spray solvents onto the pintle shaft inside. Apparently some solvents get by the seal and into the solenoid, destroying it :(

Just to add a note....

When I did mine, a while ago, I was advised here to be Very Carefull NOT to spray solvents onto the pintle shaft inside. Apparently some solvents get by the seal and into the solenoid, destroying it :(

Good Point, thats true

Thanks guys. I didnt get a chance to take it off yesterday. I will try it today. I mad a mistake yesterday and left something disconnected when I started the caddy. It immediately set a code so now I have to go through the driving cycle again. If all else fails, I will just replace it.

Oh yeah-Mike, thanks for the info on the driving cycle. Thats exactly the info I needed.

Your welcome. found on another site a cadillac owner that called the dealer and they wanted 500.00 to replaced a egr valve. Checked auto zone and they want 120.00 for one. You might want to check out this site www.wellsmfgcorp.com/counterpoints/Counterpoint3_4.pdf

Archived