CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

ENGINE DIES....

JAGUARXJ8

1999 DEVILLE..., periodically, under no specific driving conditions..., engine will just die....., after I coast to a stop, throw it in park, it will start back up immediately. No loss of electricals, radio, lights, fan, all systems operational. Seems to happen, when it does happen at lower speeds, like slowing on an offramp, coming off of the freeway. But again, this is only periodically......., could go for a month or two, without an occurance, then without any change in driving habits or environment, engine will just die. I consulted a Dealership, about the problem, and as predicted, they trotted out a laundry list of what it might be, and suggested preventative maintainance, specifically designed to lighten my wallet, but not fix my problem.

So, any suggestions from those of you, that may have suffered similar trouble and discovered a remedy, would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks!

Pull the hose off the Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR) and see if you have fuel present. In the picture below, its in the upper left hand corner..

You might also clean the throttle body throat with O2 safe carb cleaner and a toothbrush, make sure you get where the plate meets the throat and and the rear of the plate good. A cotton cloth wrapped around your index finger with cleaner on it can also be effective. Cleaning the TB is a practice that your should perform say every other oil change, the engine is so much smoother as a result... Mike

post-3-1109796694_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Pull the hose off the Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR) and see if you have fuel present. In the picture below, its in the upper left hand corner..

You might also clean the throttle body throat with O2 safe carb cleaner and a toothbrush, make sure you get where the plate meets the throat and and the rear of the plate good. A cotton cloth wrapped around your index finger with cleaner on it can also be effective. Cleaning the TB is a practice that your should perform say every other oil change, the engine is so much smoother as a result... Mike

I had that problem also..my 99 deville would stall occasionally especially coming off the hwy. Then I started putting fuel system cleaner (not fuel inject cleaner) in the tank every 3,000 mi....and now over 20,000 miles later it hasnt stalled once

Regardless, if there is fuel coming out of the FPR, I would replace it anyway while you are there. It is not that expensive and if it still has problems keep the old one as a spare. Do not use an aftermarket FPR I got one from NAPA and it would not fit and the one from Advance lasted about a year. Get one from the dealer.

As far as putting a lot of fuel system cleaner in the tank. You are setting yourself up for a fuel pump replacement. Gas additives eat the wiring insulation up on the fuel pump causing premature failure. If you do not believe me, check the archives.

Have you checked your diagnostic codes? Key on, engine off, press and hold the "off" and "warmer" buttons on the Climate control panel and watch the codes come up in the message center. When it comes to "PCM?" it is done, turn key off to reset.

A good throttle cleaning is a good idea also.

Do you drive it like a weenie? A few good Wide Open Throttles (WOT) could help too.

Archived