CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

XLR sales off

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101909

GM has reduced XLR production at its Bowling Green, Ky., plant from 23 vehicles a day to 12, union officials say.

As of Feb. 1, Cadillac had a 200-day supply of the $76,200 vehicle -- about 1,700 units.

Cadillac once hoped to sell 6,000 XLRs annually. But through 18 months, Cadillac has sold just 4,744.

Still higher than Dodge Viper sales, say, but 3K a year is still about how many $75-85K convertibles will sell, I guess. A large number of Viper sales go to repeat customers, I read, who upgrade to the latest version.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

When you can buy a FULLY loaded Corvette for $14,000 cheaper, why would you want to buy an XLR? I went to www.chevrolet.com and added every option I could to a 2005 Corvette and it was only $62,480. This included a power top, huge stereo, navigation system and the magnetic suspension. The base price for the XLR is $76,000!

Cadillac badges don't cost that much.

Did Cadillac learn nothing from the Alante?

Plus, Vettes have legendary resale, much like Harley's.

AN XLR's resale ... who knows, the closest history is the Allante or Eldorado convertibles, not quite as stellar as a vette!

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Bla BLa BLa...

Went to the Cleveland Auto Show last nite...

Spent the most time sitting in the new Cadillacs...

NICE!

tmpafford,

Listen, everything is relative...

The XLR is Beautiful...

More Beautiful than the Vette!

Admit it...If money wasn't an obstacle...

YOU WOULD BUY ONE!

my .02

I agree CadiKing, Vettes IMHO are dime a dozen these days, the XLR is like the Vette used to be, special...

They might be "dime a dozen" (in some places) Mike, but those new C-6 Corvettes are one fine piece of automotive engineering, with world class looks.

Especially for the price! ;)

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

They put up the baloon marketing wise when it came to that model, it has not gone any where. Nice try but no body's buying. Seriously what makes it any more better than a Corvette? Snob apeale? Seem to have lost that bet.

...If money wasn't an obstacle...

Money is always an obsticle, but you missed my point. A fully loaded vette should be the base price of the XLR. I would love to have one and I am thinking that it will be my next caddy, but I am having a hard time swallowing a $14,000 adder for caddy badges.

Looks like I will be shopping the used car market again and let some other fool loose $20,000 after one year.

First off let me state that I love the XLR and this car is on my 5 year plan...

i.e. in five years I'm buying one that is three or four years old,

But tmpafford is right... GM is not marketing this car very well at all. I would agree with tmpafford that the two cars should cost the same if they had the same features... But wait :o the XLR is slower!

Imagine how many Acuras Honda would cell if the "chassis equivalent" car in the Honda line was cheaper, faster and getting more press...

I only pray that the V series fixes this... I fear not... Chevy and Corvette have a lot of clout at GM; it seems that cars that are faster than the Corvette are not long for the world regardless of sales ('87 Grand National ring any bells...)

Saddly, I fear that some bean counter will kill the car in 5 or 6 years like the Allante...

PS IIRC a '91 Allante cost the same as a '91 ZR1 Vette...

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

>Looks like I will be shopping the used car market again and let some other fool loose $20,000 after one year.<

Exactamundo...

I've had a lot of nice cars in the last 35 years, but have not purchased a new one since the early '80's. I doubt for your reasoning if I ever will again. Let someone else take the depreciation hit, and you still end up with a great, fully warranted ride.

I lease, but that's a different game altogether. ;)

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

It is obvious that the forum simply does not understand the XLR. It is a car to compete with the MB SL500, and that alone, the XLR is cheaper, better, and faster. You can get a faster MB than a SL, but the owners of that car choose it for their own reasons. If Caddy wants to compete with BMW and MB it has to offer cars that otherwise would be sold by the competition. Remember that the only Allante worth driving cost the same 75 large 12 years ago! But it was a shell of the car the XLR is. For 14 grand more than a Vette, you get the power hard top, driver recognition system, Caddy comforts and technology, the driver recognition system, and better performance than the SL. Caddy needs this car, and since it is based on the Vette, it is not only a reliable car, but one with limitless possibilities. It is about damned time that Caddy had the cars to play the game that MB and BMW has for years! Just be glad that Caddy is back in the game! It's about time!

It is obvious that the forum simply does not understand the XLR. It is a car to compete with the MB SL500, and that alone, the XLR is cheaper, better, and faster. You can get a faster MB than a SL, but the owners of that car choose it for their own reasons. If Caddy wants to compete with BMW and MB it has to offer cars that otherwise would be sold by the competition. Remember that the only Allante worth driving cost the same 75 large 12 years ago! But it was a shell of the car the XLR is. For 14 grand more than a Vette, you get the power hard top, driver recognition system, Caddy comforts and technology, the driver recognition system, and better performance than the SL. Caddy needs this car, and since it is based on the Vette, it is not only a reliable car, but one with limitless possibilities. It is about damned time that Caddy had the cars to play the game that MB and BMW has for years! Just be glad that Caddy is back in the game! It's about time!

No, it is obvious that Cadillac does not understand the American market. I understand the XLR. It is a good looking car. I want one. But if I am going to buy an American made roadster, why would I pay 14,000 more for the XLR for the same quality, luxury, and power? I don't think Americans will ever pay the price of a SL500 for an American made car. Honda/Acura found this out with the NSX. It was/is a great car, but "they want how much for a Honda!?!?"

The Corvette I priced out does have the power folding top with rear glass window, memory seats and controls for two drivers, bose sound system, navigation system, on-star, heated leather seats, 18"/19" polished rims, and the Magnetic Selective Ride Control. What more does the XLR have?

The XLR has a hard top convertible and keyless starting for $14,000 more. Oh, and the cadillac badges.

No matter how hard GM tries, there is no way to get around the overwhelming thought that an American made car SHOULD be cheaper that a Mercedes or BMW. Even for better quality. Once you get above the $65,000-$70,000 level, you are no longer buying a car, you buying a status symbol. Caddy does not have and will never have that kind of status.

It is the same thinking behind California wines and French wines. American wines are better than French wines, but we expect them to be better and CHEAPER. Americans buy expensive French wines just to show off, not for better taste.

Chrysler, I think, got it right with the Crossfire. They took last years Mercedes SL300 suspension, drive train, engine and transmision, and slapped a new body on it. They now are getting four or five more years out of what otherwise would have been an obsolete SL300 design. When Mercedes makes their next design, Crossfire can use the current system. Great thinking!

If Cadillac wants that upper class of car buyers, they need to offer something that is faster, quicker and more luxurious that anything else made by an American car company. I agree that Cadillac needed a car like the XLR in their line, but their pricing is difficult to swallow. The XLR is close, but has not made it. Drop the price $10,000 and they would have a hit!!

However, if Cadillac would just release the Sixteen http://www.cadillac.com/cadillacjsp/models...el=sixteen&df=y Then I think they could charge $100,000 or more for that.

Archived