CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Can Johan de Nysschen make Cadillac great again (in the U.S.)?

Bruce Nunnally

Although de Nysschen has been at Cadillac for just under 3.5 years (he joined in August 2014), the recently released numbers of Cadillac global sales seem as though the company has been energized — in China.

Not so much in the U.S.

Read more: https://www.autoblog.com/2018/02/16/johan-de-nysschen-cadillac-china-us/

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

As the article suggested, Johan needs to pay a little more attention to the U.S.  While global sales are up, in this case global mostly means China, and that is kind of all your eggs in one basket.  The XT4 needs to be a hit (for the U.S.) in my opinion, and when the ATS and the CTS are replaced with the CT4 (I believe), that needs solid sales figure as well.  Granted Johan has only been at the helm for 3 1/2 years but very shortly the honeymoon will be over and his decisions will be fully his own shortly.

p.s.  the video on the CT6's  SuperCruise was pretty entertaining, and at least in the demonstration, looked promising.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

I think the XT4 is about 2 years late to market, considering the ingredients are all off the shelf.  Once the ATS didn’t make sales targets all the other sedans followed and it became clear low gas prices pushed the market back to trucks & SUVs.  It would have been great to have the XT4 two years ago instead of next year.

Bruce

I'm also wondering whether the CT4 (ATS & CTS replacement) will be twins or cousins to the new Buick Regal.  The upcoming Buick Regal GT looks very good (it uses the corporate V-6:  3.6 liter) that the Cadillacs currently uses.  The regular (new) Regal hatch, and the Regal Tour X to me is a station wagon but uses a turbo-4.  There is still some room for proper sedans, so if the new Caddy and Buick bring the goods they may do okay in sales.  I believe Cadillac is also in development of an XT6, but as with the XT4, somewhat late.

Chuck

I would not think so.  The Regal is on the e2xx (epsilon) front engine / fwd or awd platform while I suppose CT4 will still be on Alpha front engine / rear drive or awd platform.  They have shared corporate powertrains but I think Cadillac wants unique powertrains again. 

Bruce

I hope I’m right but you may be.  Attractive to use a fwd platform on their smallest offerings.

Bruce

The last I heard was a release as a 2020 model (CT4); darn, I wish they would hurry up, I'm starting to push old age :) and all these great promises, sometimes, just aren't.  I'm going to give the Buick a look but if info on the new Caddy becomes available, and it looks even better, I might just wait.  (I'm not bragging nor complaining, just that I'm 67, time is becoming a consideration).  Thanks for the dialogue; appreciated Bruce.

Chuck

Chuck

Archived