CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Time For Inner Tie Rods 99 Deville

TheRoger

Last time I did brakes i noticed my inner tie rod was a bit wobbly on the driver side.  Time to replace just ordered new delcos today.  My question that could save me some heartache today is:  Do I absolutely need an inner tie rod tool to do this job or is Deville one of the cars where you're able to turn the wheel all the way over and get a channel lock or big monkey wrench on??

Also re-did my engine with Jake's studs about 30,000 km ago and she still runs absolutely mint, for what it's worth. Been all across the continent since then and wouldn't tour any other way.

I have never replaced one on a Cadillac. My wifes STS has almost 200k miles on it ;)

The FSM says you only need a pipe wrench placed on the rack next to the inner tie rod housing and obviously a wrench on the flats on the tie rod housing. This is for both magnasteer and "quiet valve" what ever that option means.

You´re welcome! I really recommend the FSM. Every car sometimes has an issue. It´s not that a Cadillac breaks down more than other cars. I have my fourth one now and I am really pleased with the reliability! I used to drive Volvos because everybody over here believes that they make the ultimate reliable cars. From my experience they break down and rust besides the fact that they are ugly and really boring to drive :)

From my experience Cadillacs generally doesn’t need fancy special tools though sometimes a special tool can make the job easier.

Yeah A deville was my first car so i was excited to get another one for my daily driver.  I have had a few volvos, the motors and trans were bullet proof but they rode and drove like *smurf* and had a lot of stupid issues to do with electrical, seats, door locks and things like that.  Plus the interors always creaked all the time which drove me nuts.  I have been doing my own work on this northstar and it's not really that bad.  Havent' had many issues other than my head gasket which i managed to stud myself.  Was pretty proud of that. 

Head gasket problems are just about the only major problem you will ever have with a Northstar and I would say that it does not happen more often than on any other car. It is extraordinary to be able to enjoy the power, the smoothness, the ride and handling and have that reliability. Wifeys STS still have original water pump, starter, alternator, thermostat, shocks, exhaust system (except from the cat that said good bye at about 160k miles), AC etc. after 16 years and almost 200k miles.

I still use it quite regularly to excercise it and it sees 120+ mph almost every time :ninja:

get the tool.

They are on there very tight and there is no clearance for a wrench.

the tool slides over the whole rod and you hook a gun or bar up to it to break it free.

I have done enough of them to know how tight they can be

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Ill have access to a freinds hoist so i can proably get a breaker bar on it if it's tight.  Is it still necessary?  Ill have to order it from rock auto as the napa here is the only place in town that has one for $175 so ill go with the 50$ rock auto one if need be.

Last time i attempted to go to napa i needed brake pads for my pickup.  There is a really rude lady that own the franchise here so i hate giving them business anyway.   But my pads were down to the squalers so i went there and they wanted 120 for front pads for a GM pickup, i was floored.   Went home and ordered from rock auto for about 22$ plus shipping

Archived