CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Dead rear door - need easy/cheap fix! Help!

I have a 2002 Deville four door and the rear passenger door does not open, nor does the window go down. I bought it that way from the dealer years ago. I know that there are threads on here that already address the problem, but many are ten years older or more.

So, here is my problem and my questions.

I lost my job at the beginning of January and signed up to drive for Uber until I find a permanent job. (cash flow, you know). Well, because Betsy (the Deville) is more than five years old, I have to have an inspection. Of course, one of the questions on the inspection sheet is "Do all four doors open and close?". I read on another thread that a mechanic said to try touching the battery terminals together and that will reset the whole electrical system and if your problem is with software, that should fix it.

My questions: Since the battery is under the back seat (ugh), before I struggle to get to the battery, is this advice even close to valid? If so, does the car need to be running when I do this? 
Is there a chance of blowing myself into smithereens? Is there a chance that I might short out the entire electrical system and then be worse off than I am already?

I have $0 to go to a mechanic - I should have stayed married to my gearhead ex - sigh.

Or is my best bet to bake a bunch of cookies and take them with me to the inspection and hope that they will cut an old gal a break?

Is it a problem with the power door locks not working, or does the door not open regardless of being locked or unlocked? If it is a problem with the power door lock actuator, then you will have to see if it is getting power with a test light or multimeter. If it is getting power then the actuator will have to be replaced.

If the door does not open regardless of being locked or unlocked, then there is a problem with the linkage inside the door. You will have to remove the interior door trim/card and see what is going on back there.

We pretty much covered your questions in your last posting:

There is no magic bullet.....no secret battery cable tricks....no short cuts....no quick and easy fix. 

There does seem to be no end to bad information on the Internet.

It is at the top of the door panel at the base of the window.

Pulling up unlocks it. Pushing it down (flush with the panel) locks it.

41125006.jpg

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Thank you! I will try the manual lock.

But, I want to tell you all that the State of Michigan will assist with car repair up to $900 annually if that repair is keeping you from working. It's true! Contact MDHHS to get an application. So, I am applying and hopefully Betsy won't need any other repairs!

I will keep you posted on how this goes - thanks again!

Archived