CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Missing my Caddys

rockfangd

Hi all.

I am missing my caddys like crazy this winter. I am so happy that they are both safe and sound in the garage and considering the NY winter we are having I would rather they stay clean and dry.

I am still thinking about the huge accomplishment of replacing the headliner assembly  on my Seville and I cannot wait until spring to enjoy it again. I feel like I am the only one that puts 20 year old Caddys away for the winter.

I also find it funny that my newest car is my winter rat. I love my nissan altima for a winter car but it lacks the v8 power I need. I drive it hard too:P

Maybe we will get lucky and have a early spring. Happy motoring and Drive safely:hatsoff:

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

• 4 weeks later...

I once read on a Corvette forum about a guy who had a C6 and a Z06 for everyday driving. Except from in the winter when he drove some Japanese car. He said that it was a good choice since he did not care at all about that car. He could total it and still have a smile on his face. This is why Toyota remains in business ;)

I use undercoating on my cars since they use a lot af road salt over here. I have had a 1988 Eldorado, a 1993 STS, a 2002 STS and now a 2012 CTS-V and have used the Tuff-Cote Dinol treatment. Perhaps it is called Dinitrol in US. All of them passed over 150k miles without any signs of rust. Just some bubbles on the paint around the fuel filler neck on wifeys STS after almost 200k miles!

So it is possible to enjoy your dream car all year around :) Obviously some people think I am crazy to use a near 600 hp rear wheel drive car in the winter...

I am counting down the days.

In my experience there is no way to prevent rust unless you remove all of the panels and coat them.

I am extremely picky.

Iol on the toyota response. Same thing with my Nissan

GM FAN FOREVER

11 hours ago, rockfangd said:

I am counting down the days.

In my experience there is no way to prevent rust unless you remove all of the panels and coat them.

I am extremely picky.

Iol on the toyota response. Same thing with my Nissan

I agree. The best protection is to get the car rust proof from the factory but if one likes to drive all year around then this is a well working solution ( http://www.dinol.com). Especially since many cars don’t have a very good protection from the factory to start with. Cadillacs don’t rust as easy as other cars but if they are unprotected they will.

First they raise the car on a lift and remove the wheels and the plastic panels under it and wash the car with high pressure. I really don't care for high pressure washes for everyday use since the pressure forces water through seals and under coating materials and is hard on the paint. But since they dry the car for a day at raised temperature afterwards it is ok. Then they use a thin wax-based fluid in cavities, doors, beams and sills which also seals the seams between the sheet metal parts. After that they use a thin wax based fluid in the wheel wells and underneath the whole car followed by a thicker coating to prevent abrasive wear from dirt and stones.

Best would be to have two Cadillacs. One for wintertime driving and one for summer driving ;).

Lol My Deville is supposed to be my daily driver.

When I retired my 96 Deville I bought my nissan. Problem is that my nissan did not satisfy me for a DD. So I bought my 97 Deville. 

I decided I wanted to preserve it so I put it away in the winter like my Seville.

I am not sure why but I agree that Cadillacs do not rust as quick as others. At least none of mine have. But the rust was popping up pretty good on my 96.

the reason they rust below the fuel door is because of the foam type padding that soaks up moisture and salt. It just sits there and rots

GM FAN FOREVER

I agree, its hard to put a nice looking Caddy out here in this salt and slush, no matter how old it is!  My '03 doesn't have a speck of rust on it, and I try to wash it as often as possible to keep the crud off.  

I do miss my little Audi A4 Quattro for winter traction though... It was unstoppable in deep stuff, where my SLS just crawls though it that thing would be chewing it up and spitting it out! :P

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

Archived