CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Remote Starter Install on 2002 Escalade

I recently purchased a remote starter (RS00/PS00 +ADS-TBSL-PL+SPDT) for my 2002 Escalade off of Amazon. Here is the link for the one I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I figured I should be able to install this myself seeing as how stereo installs and such are no problem and I have the install instructions. Boy, was I wrong! Everything seem to be going fine until I was told to "Connect the green activation wire from the remote start to the driver lock motor wire in the vehicle." Yeah, right! It says that this wire (the drive lock motor wire) will be located at the kick panel and according to the wiring diagram this wire should be a (GRAY*(5*wire*type) IN*DRIVERS*DOOR*HARNESS. The problem I am having is that there are multiple gray wires coming from that spot.

I would really like to get this installed, I have had multiple back surgeries resulting in a steel cage in my back and living in Minnesota the winters get frigid. I can't take this much longer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Is this the door "lock" signal wire? You may have to remove the door panel and connect directly to the wire at the actuator.

@Cadillac Jim may be able to get a better location pinpoint and/or better circuit description from the FSM.

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

From the Amazon blurb, the gray wire they are talking about is probably the door lock actuator line.  Hitting the factory fob "lock" button puts power to that wire, and three hits is apparently what actuates the starter actuation logic in your accessory.  I've attached the schematic that shows the gray wire, which is the one to the driver's door; it's GRY .  Others that could work are any of the GRY/BLK wires that lock the other doors and tailgate, but I suspect that personalization of your car's options could affect these doors - possibly not the locking signals but certainly the unlocking signals.

2002_Escalade_Door_Lock_Actuators.png

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Thank you, this gives me a better starting point to work with.

P500 is the wiring conduit to the driver's door, and you probably want to make your splice to the gray wire closer to the left instrument panel fuse block.  The "Fuse Block Left - I/P" is under the dash above the OBD II connector.  I don't have an Escalade but since it's a fuse block, you should be able to have reasonably easy access to it.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Just a heads up.....

As odd as it sounds.....the 2002 Escalade vehicle wiring is different than a 2003 Escalade. Pretty much the same vehicle....but the dashboard was changed in 2003. So 2003 and later vehicles have different wire harnesses and fuse blocks locations etc. 

The 2002 wiring is kind of a unique one year vehicle. This could be whats causing some confusion. 

The diagram and information that I gave are from the FSM for the 2002 Escalade, as provided from the 2011 GM SI DVD 02#2.  That doesn't guarantee that it is 100% accurate; nothing is perfect.  But it is specific to the 2002 Escalade and I believe that it can be relied upon for that model.

OTOH, don't try to use the door actuator wiring diagram I posted abvove for information on other model years...

That was not to imply the above diagram was incorrect. 

But...a vast majority of any diagrams or instructions found on Google etc will actually be for 2003-2006 Escalades. 

Just letting everyone know the 2002 Escalade will not match most diagrams or instructions.  It has different fuse blocks and fuses etc.

Most people would not expect a different electrical system between a 2002 and 2003 model of the same vehicle.    

3 hours ago, Logan said:

That was not to imply the above diagram was incorrect. 

But...a vast majority of any diagrams or instructions found on Google etc will actually be for 2003-2006 Escalades. 

Just letting everyone know the 2002 Escalade will not match most diagrams or instructions.  It has different fuse blocks and fuses etc.

Most people would not expect a different electrical system between a 2002 and 2003 model of the same vehicle.    

Good to point that out, for the browsers out there; those outnumber the posters by 100 to 1 or better.  I don't follow platforms other than the E/K and D, and the CTS, and didn't know where the breaks are in designs.

Would the wiring for the 2002 Base and 2002 EXT be the same?  I believe I have found the correct wiring, but it says it is for the EXT.

http://alarmsellout.com/support/diagrams/vehicle/CADILLAC ESCALADE EXT 2002-2005.pdf

1 hour ago, Bradd said:

Would the wiring for the 2002 Base and 2002 EXT be the same?  I believe I have found the correct wiring, but it says it is for the EXT.

http://alarmsellout.com/support/diagrams/vehicle/CADILLAC ESCALADE EXT 2002-2005.pdf

I just checked the 2002 EXT FSM and looked at the schematic for the power door lock actuators, and it seems to be exactly the same as the diagram that I posted for the Escalde on January 6.  I think it's the same file on the SI DVD.

The PDF file at your link is mostly color photos of connectors with arrows to wires that identify their purpose.  From what Logan says, there was a change in the wiring between the 2002 and 2003 model years and the diagrams in the PDF say that the same photos and diagrams apply for all years; this may be true (the PDF file info doesn't address the details that you get in wiring diagrams, just connector wire colors) but I would be careful about using the PDF diagrams from any source outside GM without verifying them against schematics for your car, regardless of model year.

My GM DVD.....shows the same exact diagram Jim posted above for the 2002 EXT. 

My GM DVD shows a different diagram for the 2003 EXT. See attached (drivers door).....Unlike the 2002 diagram.....2003 has a different diagram for each door lock actuator.

It appears on the 2003....a door module has been added to the mix along with other changes. 

2003extdriver.jpg

You will have to forgive me, I am not good at all at reading schematics... these tend to get me a little lost.  I am hoping I can make enough sense out of these to get this going.  

These are the two files that I was told by their tech support to download, and these plus what I posted a few hours ago are what I have to go on. 

**Edit**  The file from the company that shows the tip sheet for installation is too large to attach here.  I guess I can only upload this one.

This might let someone else help me make a little more sense of things.

Cadillac Escalade 2002 BD (1).pdf

Follow the written instructions.  Use the solid gray wire in the 2002 Escalade/EXT wiring harness for the actuator signal.

Thanks, it looks like it will be next weekend before I get the chance to do it... it should be about 25 degrees out then so I can attempt it at that point seeing as how I can't get into the garage and will be doing this outside.

Keep us posted here.  Inquiring minds want to know!  And, dialogue during the process of the job, if it runs overnight, can bring up information that can help speed things up for you, and help others that are thinking about the same job and turn up this thread in an Internet search.

I am getting more and more frustrated each day.  I can not get into the programming mode to program it.  I believe this is part of what is causing it not to start.  I have followed all of the instructions that I have documentation for but for the life of me I can't get this rotten thing to work.  I have spent multiple days, hours each time trying to get this working, and each time I feel like I have been hit by a Mack truck!  At this point it looks like I am just going to give up and save up for a few months and take it somewhere to have it installed. 

I have installed multiple stereo systems with no problems but this is just... well, it won't cooperate with me at all.  I just wish that someone who has installed one of these lived close to me so I could get some help.  It's ok, I should hopefully have this installed by next winter.

What are you trying to get into the programming mode, the car, or the remote starter?  If you are using an remote that works, you don't need to program the car for it again.

I looked online to try to identify your unit and get the installation manual.  I believe that this is a Crimestoppers RS00-G5 unit.  If it's another unit, please get the make and model off the box and post it here.

Yes, that is the unit I have.  I have to get into the programming mode for the remote start to change it from starting with one push of the lock button to three pushes of the lock button to start.

I found a page-by-page manual on manualslib.com and found this"

To Engage Option Programming:
1. Turn Ignition Key to the ON position. Do not start vehicle.
2. Press the Program / Valet button 5 times. Wait for the unit to flash the lights and/or horn honk 5 times.
3. Push the valet program button the number of times that corresponds to the option number desired (1-28X). You must
get a light flash and/or honk after each button press. If the system did not flash the lights and/or honk, then it did not
register your press. Press carefully and do not lose count.
4. For RS3, RS4, RS7: When you reach the desired option #, to change the option: Press button #1 Lock, #2 Unlock,
#3 Trunk, #4 Start. (Some option numbers use ALL 4 remote buttons to select settings)
5. For RS00, RS1: (No Lock button) Tap the brake pedal to toggle through the option values: Tap brake once (lights
flash 1X) Tap the brake pedal again (Lights flash 2X) tap 3 or 4 times for options that have 3 or 4 values.
6. When finished, turn Ignition OFF, and check for changed features.

I don't have a list of the 28 programmable options handy.  The Crimestoppers web site doesn't seem to have a downloadable PDF manual but they do have a page with videos, including one for programming your unit, that seems compatible with the manualslib.com instrucitons:

http://www.crimestopper.com/products/security/security-systems/remote-start/rs00-g5

Scroll down and there are three videos linked at the bottom of the page.  One of them is "Programming your remote."

Thanks, I had that documentation, still couldn't get it done.  I went out and tried again today, got a little further.  I could at least get the Escalade to do everything but start... still couldn't get into the programming mode either.

What, exactly, is stopping you from getting into the programming mode?

I don't know what is causing it to not go into programming mode.  I wish I did know.  I tried for a few hours and still wasn't able to get this done.   I am stubborn, but my body has it's limits and I hit those limits today.  I will probably try again, but it will be a while before I do.  

I thought I had all the right connections made, but there are so many wires and two different diagrams, one for the car and one for the starter, so it is possible I didn't have some of the wires connected in the right spot.

Are you using the step-by-step instructions that I posted above?  Which step is failing, or stopping you?

Yes, I am using the guide above, but for some reason the remote starter will not enter programming mode at all

Archived