CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Avg. mpg per tank

Jan Olsson

Avg. mpg per tank (ordinary driving)  

323 members have voted

1. 1. Avg. mpg per tank (ordinary driving)

• 10-11 mpg
    • 11-12 mpg
    • 12-13 mpg
    • 13-14 mpg
    • 14-15 mpg
    • 15-16 mpg
    • 16-18 mpg
    • 18-20 mpg
    • 20-22 mpg
    • 22-25 mpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gas in Ontario has just shot over $1 per litre, and 3.79 litres = 1 US gallon, so I guess our price is around $3.80 per gallon ... or, about $3.18 USD per US gallon.

Time for an Echo :lol:

With my 99 STS, economy is up from the 97. I can see 28 mpg on the highway, but I can drop as low as 15mpg with just in town, running around the block with a/c blasting.

I assume my DIC is in US gallons, as I have an American car with the US gas guage.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Now that it costs over $30 to fill up my car in S. California this is starting to make sense.

Other mods when gas breaks the $3.00 mark in S. California.

edit due to 16months passing:

Now that it costs over $50 to fill up my car in S. California this is starting to make sense.

Other mods when gas breaks the $3.00 mark in S. California which will be happening next week.

haha, that's interesting tho. It cost me 52$ to fill up the other day...I didn't understand tho, cause the car only has a 20 gal tank but it took 20.5 gallons??? I was definately way on E but what gives? I thought there was at least a gallon or two left. It was sunny and hot, about 99 degrees, is it true that gas shrinks when it is hot?(meaning it's volume goes down?)

Chris

Christopher Petro

94 sts

67 coupe de Ville

user posted image

• 1 month later...

Looking around, my favorite response was that yes you should buy gas early in the mornings, before they can raise the price!

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I average around 17.5 to 19.0 around town (stop and go freeway driving in So. Cal.) On my monthly trips to Mesa AZ (375 miles), I usually get around 23.5 mpg. I recently cut back to regular fuel rather than premium, and haven't noticed any change in either performance or fuel economy.

• 1 month later...

I'm getting about 24.5 in my 2003 Seville STS. 80% Highway miles (constant 75 MPH, no AC).

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone. Except for perhaps James Thomas Smith :D

I´ve just calculated the average fuel consumption to see what we get. 21.5 MPG at 240 votes. This I believe is very good since most of us that voted this far has at least 200 bhp.

I´m waiting on the spring to come so I can take the STS back on the road again. Don´t want to drive the STS on salty roads :angry:

I´m pretty curious about my avg. mpg after the timeserting I did this autumn. Purrs like a kitten now :)

• 3 weeks later...

i've had several deviles and they were far better than my sls . my 1996 deville use to get 33 out on the freeway i couldnt believe it the first time i seen it. i miss that car so much. the sls however only gets 17.7 mixed driving :(

• 4 months later...

normal driving around the suburbs/city gets me 15-16 but lately with short trips and in a hurry alot its about 14-15 now (more the 14 end). Them short trips kill gas MPG.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

• 11 months later...

My -88 Eldo used to give me about 21.5 mpg (4.5L 155 hp). My -93 STS about 18 with studded tires. Long trips about 23. Timeserted it due to a leaking exhaust valve, that changed instant economy from 26 mpg with summer tires at 60 F and 60mph to 26 mpg with studded tires and a passenger too at 32F and 60mph :)

Man that motor was going good! Sold it and the Eldo just a couple of weeks ago aiming for a -02 STS

• 2 weeks later...
My -88 Eldo used to give me about 21.5 mpg (4.5L 155 hp). My -93 STS about 18 with studded tires. Long trips about 23. Timeserted it due to a leaking exhaust valve, that changed instant economy from 26 mpg with summer tires at 60 F and 60mph to 26 mpg with studded tires and a passenger too at 32F and 60mph :)

Man that motor was going good! Sold it and the Eldo just a couple of weeks ago aiming for a -02 STS

====================================================================

our 98 deville gets us 22 on short trips here in the country and after a recent 1600 mile long trip averged 28 mpg on it

it used to get about 30 on long trips but this last one was at 70 mph or better most of the time so i guess that hurt it some and the A/C was on the whole trip

It has bosch platimum plugs and new wires before the trip also

gordon

14-15 around Town

19-20 on the Highway

My fuel gauge is way off, though. For instance, it says I have 7 gallons left (out of 20) yet when I fill up it takes close to 17 gallons rather than the 13 it ought to take if it was accurate. I know it's real bad on gas because I ran out of gas in the middle of a major road when it told me I had 4 gallons left, and at that occasion I had gone 286 miles on that tank of gas, nearly all of which were around town.

• 4 months later...

I live 1.2 miles from work. If I only go back and forth with the engine cold I get about 11mpg.

Overall I'm around 18.5 local. On a trip I can get 21.5. My wife gets around 20% less!

• 9 months later...
I am going to pick up my father at the airport next week. It's a good 2-hour drive one-way, so I will see what kind of highway mileage my CTS will get round-trip.

I will bet that you will average at least 25, or better, on the open highway. I assume you will come down 287, then cut over to Grapevine on 114.

Of course driving around the DFW airport won't help the mileage any. :D

Traffic can get real bad around that area... depending on the time of day.

Posted Image

• 1 month later...
i've had several deviles and they were far better than my sls . my 1996 deville use to get 33 out on the freeway i couldnt believe it the first time i seen it. i miss that car so much. the sls however only gets 17.7 mixed driving :(

Maybe it is only the devilles that get good mileage. I reported mine to get about 50 when driven like on an economy run and was told I was wrong. I too get 33 - 34 on the Interstate at 65 mph. My wife averages 28.5 and she is either flooring the brakes or accelerator at all times. No coasting and will scare the wits out of a passenger.

Maybe it is only the devilles that get good mileage. I reported mine to get about 50 when driven like on an economy run and was told I was wrong. I too get 33 - 34 on the Interstate at 65 mph. My wife averages 28.5 and she is either flooring the brakes or accelerator at all times. No coasting and will scare the wits out of a passenger.

The 92 4.9 Deville and 96 4.6 Deville have nothing in common other than the name Deville.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Bought my 1998 STS 1 1/2 years ago, first thing I did was do a complete service and tune-up (to use an OLD SKOOL phrase), including new AC spark plugs, pcv, plug wires, cleaned all terminals on the coil packs and lubed with dielectric grease, new K&N filter element only (not the cold air kit), and ran a can of GM Top Engine Cleaner through the top end, and two bottles of Tech-Ron injector cleaner in the tank. I drive approximately 80 miles a day to and from work, 90% highway. I run 91 octane gas (high altitude), and I consistantly get 22.5 to 24.5 mpg. I think this is fantastic real-world fuel mileage out of a big car like this. I have been very pleased with the performance (I do keep the cobwebbs blown out), but do drive sanely most of the time. Just thought I would add my 2 cents worth to the discussion.

Archived