CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Flasher relay

Will

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The turn signals and hazards yes, but most likely a defective hazard switch which I believe is the flasher unit.

Headlamp high beams are a different circuit, check fuses and relays. Swap the relays with a circuit that is operating as long as they are the same part number.

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

It could be the multi-function switch. It does control the high beam circuit. If you pull the lever back (flash to pass) do the high beams come on then?

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

Yes,  disable air bags, air bag comes off, and steering wheel puller to pull steering wheel. 

I'm not completely convinced it is the multi-function switch though. You would need to diagnose the circuits first rather than change parts...

If the headlamps would have worked on flash to pass I would have felt better about it. 

FYI - 2 relays defective is not as rare as it sounds.

One question first - Do you have the I-Beam option ( intelligent hi-beams )? That is a whole different animal. The rear-view mirror is part of that system.

Yes you can for example replace the door lock relay with the headlamp relay as long as the relay part numbers are the same.

The headlamps also use a solenoid to redirect low beams for high beam use, as your system does not use a separate hi-beam lamp. If you have separate hi-beam lamps let me know . We would have to go back to square one.

Is the switch on, on the rear view mirror?

If the switch on the mirror is on, turn it off and try the flash to pass again and see if the high beams work with the I-Beam function off.

When you try the high beams does the hi beam indicator in the instrument cluster illuminate?

When you turn the I-Beam on at the mirror does the green light in the mirror come on?

From the limited information I have it appears that the I-beam equipped vehicles did NOT use the under-hood fuse and relays, although GM considered it more cost effective to install them rather than make another fuse block for the I-Beam  equipped vehicles. The problem I'm having and maybe @Cadillac Jim can shed some light on this, is - did they install a solid state device to control the auto-dimming function? If so, where is it? Is it all inside the ISRVM? Cadillac Jim - if it helps the RPO code is T80 for auto dim function.

I'm leaning more towards the ISRVM ( Inside Rear View Mirror ) assembly, but without the wiring diagram I'm only guessing.

I'll keep searching for the schematic when I can though.

The first thing I would do is read the OBD codes.  If your OnStar is active, you can push the black button and ask them to read the codes back to you.  The last time I did that, they offered to e-mail me the codes.  Not all codes are available through OnStar, but I think the safety-reatled codes are all available to OnStar.  If your OnStar isn't active, Autozone and other auto parts outlets and service people offer OBD code reading services, just make sure that you are getting the BCM codes because some services just read the PCM codes.

I'm new to the thread, altered by OldCadTech, so I'll start with 2006 DTS, no bright headlights.  The 2006 FSM headlights schematic shows the bright lights controlled by a relay in the underhood fuse block.  There is a HI BEAM relay and a LO BEAM relay, both controlled by the BCM.  The BCM grounds a relay coil connector to click the relay.  Power comes from a wire that goes off the chart, still in the underhood fuse block, so I will say for now that it goes to a MAXIFUSE, one of the 50-Amp fuses.  I'll look up that schematic after I'm done with the headlights schematic.

The HI BEAM relay provides power to two fuses.  You have separate 10 Amp HI BEAM fuses for the left and right headlight.  There are two 10 Amp LO BEAM fuses too.  You have HID headlights for both high and low beams.  Power from the fuses goes to the headlight high beam solenoid and ballast on both sides.  Low beam goes to the ballast but no solenoid.  From there things go to ground G104.

From that, I would say that the muti-function switch, which has your passing lights (pull on the left lever, spring return) and high beam switch (push on the left lever and it moves to high beam position and stays until you pull it back), auto-dim, etc. are controlled by logic in the BCM, not relays in the headlights wiring.

Since everything past the high beam relay is duplicated on both sides, it seems that whatever is preventing your high beams from coming on is most likely either the high beam relay or the logic in the BCM or something that affects the logic in the BCM, not in the headlights themselves.  The OBD codes would make this clearer.

If you have low beam but not high beam, I would find the high beam relay and put a stethoscope on it while someone turns on the key and pulls the multi-function switch to flash the high beams and see of the relay clicks.  If it does, the relay contacts are bad.  If it doesn't, the relay could still be bad but the BCM logic, or something that affects the BCM logic (like the multi-function switch) is the problem.

The headlight switch, multi-function switch, and rear view mirrors are on a separate schematic.  Everything goes to the BCM, which controls the headlights.  There is a light sensor on the inside rear-view mirror in this schematic.  The inside rear-view mirror is actually a module, and the mirror includes the sensor for the auto-dim feature.  It talks to the BCM through the car's network, which on your car is the D-GN (probably dark green) wire.

So, I would try replacing the high beam relay in the underhood fuse block; that's a $5 part.  If that doesn't fix it, I would get the OBD codes and do a diagnosis before buying any more parts.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Thanks Cadillac Jim, I was hoping there would have been a different schematic for the I-beam.

Will, Cadillac Jim is correct, it would be helpful to see if there are any codes. The best thing is to have a local auto parts store read them for you. Although, more often than not they can only read generic OBD2 codes. It is definitely worth a try though.

The 2006 DTS Owners manual - Intellibeam™ Intelligent High-Beam Headlamp Control System.

If your vehicle has this feature, be sure to read this entire section before using it.
Intellibeam™ is an enhancement to your vehicle’s headlamp system. Using a digital light sensor on your rearview mirror, this system will turn the vehicle’s high-beam headlamps on and off according to surrounding traffic conditions.
The Intellibeam™ system will turn your high-beam headlamps on when it is dark enough, there is no other traffic present, and the Intellibeam system is enabled.
Turning On and Enabling Intellibeam™
Press and release the Intellibeam™ button on the inside rear view mirror. The Intellibeam™ indicator on the mirror will turn on to let you know the system has been turned on. Once the system has been turned on, it will remain on each time the vehicle is started.
Additionally, the intellibeam system must be enabled.
To enable the Intellibeam™ system, turn the exterior lamp control to AUTO, with the turn signal/multifunction lever in its neutral position. The High-Beam On Light will appear on the instrument panel cluster when the high-beams are on. 

^^^^^^^ BE SURE you have activated the system ^^^^^^^

Intellibeam™ will only activate your high-beams when driving over 20 mph (32 km/h). 

Ok i have a reader. I will try scanning and i will inform you the codes. Im not 100% sure on reading them things but i do own one. 

And so the ibeam feature for the high beams will prevent my turn signals from operating?? 2 different systems right? So my question is if my turn signals and hi beams arent connected why is one effecting the other?? Do you know if they tie into the same system? If so, where they meet would mostly likely be the problem right??  Trying to get a better understanding of hiw this work. I really need turn signals....!!!

I've been browsing through the FSM, which for me is a slow Java document on a DVD, and some of the things I have found:

• Intellibeam is apparently standard on the 2006 DTS.
  • Intellibeam is implemented by adding the headlight sensor to the inside rear view mirror and additional software in the BCM and in the main computer, where the progammability options and such are displayed and stored on the touch screen.  The headlights are operated by the BCM.  All the controls go to the BCM, and all the indicator lights are operated by the BCM.
  • There do not seem to be a lot of DTCs about the headlight control circuit.  B2580, "Headlight High Beam Control Circuit," is one of them.  Repair instructions are, after instructing the tech to check and fix DTC's in general, to check the relay, general power distribution, replace relays, fuses, and even the underhood fuse block as necessary, and, if the BCM doesn't successfully command the high beam relay, to replace the BCM.
  • The tach, speedometer, and all the dash lights, including the turn signal arrows and the Intellibeam indicator, are operated through the car's network by the BCM.  The instrument panel cluster is a computer module that is operated by the BCM through the car's network.

I do NOT believe that the Intellibeam system will prevent the turn signals from operating, because safety demands that the turn signals work regardless of whether the headlights are on high beam or not.

The turn signal switch just sends signals to the BCM.  The BCM software does the blinking timing and operates the turn signals and stop lights.  The only place where the high beams and turn signals are tied together is in the malfunction switch itself.  The OBD codes may help us with determining that for sure.  We need to do that before proceeding because changing that switch assembly is a big job and the parts aren't free.

Found this GM page on Intellibeam:

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2014/11/cadillacs-intellibeam-system-automatically-enables-high-beams-feature-spotlight/

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Will:  On my car (a 2011 CTS) the headlights are on the left smart stick and the wipers and turn signals are on the right smart-stick.  I don't know if the mechanicals of the two are in the same assembly, but I suspect that they are.  Your car is roomier and they may be separate.  If you look on the steering column, you should be able to see if both sticks go into the same segment on the steering column; if they do, then it's the same assembly.

There are lots of functions in the smart stick assembly.  The usual situation when something breaks or wears out is for part of it to get out of joint and malfunction or quit working, and some or all of the rest to be OK.

One thing that bothers me is that the turn signals are on their own lights in the front and the stoplights in the rear, while the high beams are on their own circuit.  Logic in the BCM should not tie together the turn signals and the high beams.  A mechanical problem in the steering column is the closest they get - except in the wiring, where they are on the same connectors.  But, then, as you say, so are the wipers and other things that are on either smart stick.  It's possible to get out a wiring diagram, remove the covers under the dash, and crawl up there with a voltmeter and check things out.  But I'm hoping that your code reader and an OBD code can help save you from that chore, which, unless you have a very bright ten-year-old nearby that can crawl up there for you, is not something I would plan on for recreation.

So, your point about the wipers gets me to the obvious:  maybe you have two problems.  If the no-bright-lights problem is it's own thing, the HI BEAM relay is probably the problem.  For the turn signals, I would check fuses.  The hazard warning switch has an LED that is turned on when it is on, so that's not likely a problem.

Just now, Will said:

It reads there is no dtc stored on the computer is all im getting

That means that the computer isn't coming back with any failed tests.  The car's computer performs hundreds of tests every few seconds and thousands whenever you drive the car, so that's good news.

@OldCadTech, do you think that points a finger at the multifunction switch?

@Will, I'll dive back into the FSM and see what the mechanicals in the steering column look like.

Archived