CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Power steering fluid dripping out of boot

sts man

Today I saw a small oil spot on the driveway, so I jacked up the car to take a look. It looks like the boot ( like a cv boot but on the rack and pinon) has a small drip from it. It was dark outside so I could not tell if it a cut on the boot or what. My question is is there a seal in there that might be leaking ?or does fluid flow in the boot and if there is a tear in the boot that is why it is leaking?Anyway in the morning I'll take a look at it again. Thanks Guys!!!! :(

While on a road trip in the family ‘battle wagon’ (Suburban) a few years back I had a sudden, copious power steering fluid leak right at the shaft seal. darn…I pulled into a shopping center where there happened to be a NAPA store. I told the guy on the other side of the counter about my dilemma, and he pointed to the Lucas additives rack. Right there was a white, conical shaped squeeze bottle of Lucas “power steering stop leak, and conditioner”….Well, why not? This thick red stuff came out like molasses, and refilled my reservoir which was pretty low by now.

It stopped the leak for two years, and thousands of miles. I keep a bottle of the stuff in my ‘road trip kit’ now…

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

I used the Lucas “power steering stop leak, and conditioner”…. to stop the leak I had in my rack as well. It was also dripping out of one boot. Of course the leak didn't show up until after I replaced the engine..... :blink:

With the engine out changing the rack would be a piece of cake...not so much with it in.

Dennis

I took a look ,it's the boot leaking it has a small crack,What sould I do ?It leaks very slowly but sttill a pain in the *smurf*!I dont like when something is broke or about to break! I hate to have it in the back of my mind.By the way I already have lucus oil in the system. Do I need to replace the rack? Or is there a seal I can replace and a new boot. :(

STS Man,

I am having the same problem as you. There is a high pressure hose that runs right under the boot for the rack ( back to the rear just a bit). I can't tell if mine is leaking at the lower pressure seal from this hose or from the outer seal that holds the small end of the boot to the shaft (or both). It's scary to think a car that originally cost over $50k could have problems with the rack at 70k miles. My car has not been abused at all. Makes we want to go take a crap in the lobby of my local Cadillac dealer (or better yet, in the trunck of the CTS-V they have in the showroom!). Just kidding of course, but there is no excuse for some of this crap.

James

1999 STS 65k

1995 STS 127k

Both stsman and hijack need to determine the source of the leak.

In my (limited) experience, the high pressure plumbing from the pump to the rack can leak at one of the metal-to-rubber connections. That piece can be a PITA to replace, but can be done at home on ramps.

Have a helper turn the steering wheel slightly to command pressure (engine running) while you inspect the pressure side plumbing for leaks.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I just got done having the wife turn the wheel all the way while I examinded under the car, jacked up. It is definitely coming from the main pressure hose that bolts vertically into the top of the power steering pump and runs right above the steering rack boot on the passenger side, and on over to the where it bolts onto the steering rack closer to the driver's side. The hose is spraying out of like 10 tiny pinholes in the hose itself, I could see it running down the hose and gathering in the pressure fitting (thats why I originally thought it was coming from the pressure fitting) and also is spraying all over the boot.

GMPartsDriect has the hose for $116.89 shipped and it doesn't look that hard to change, although maybe a pain to snake in and out of everything.

Could the power purge that cadillac did on my power steering system a few months ago have caused the pinholes in the line? If so, do you think they will cover the repairs?

James

1999 STS 65k

1995 STS 127k

UPDATE- Got the high pressure hose from my local parts store for around $60.00 and changed it last night. Took two hours from jacking it up to letting down on the ground for a test drive. I could do it much faster now that I know how to snake the metal parts of the hose back in. It's kind of like an Amish puzzle or something :D

No leaks! B)

James

1999 STS 65k

1995 STS 127k

Archived