CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Onboard Diagnostics

Scotty

Recently someone asked a question here asking how they can monitor the O2 sensor activity.... I know it can be done through the DIC, and you can monitor many things. It does not seem to me that the Service Manual goes into sufficient detail explaining how to view and override parameters through the DIC.

Does anyone know if I can purchase something tht will allow me to get deeper into the on board diagnostics? Helm Inc used to sell a handbook (pictured below) that would give you specific details for the onboard diagnostics. This is standard OBD II, so maybe what I am looking for is an OBD II hand book, anyone? Thanks, Mike

post-3-1109628797_thumb.jpg

Mike,

Maybe I am wrong, but I thought you could only get into those parameters onboard with OBDI. OBDII requires the scan tool.

Larry, so you are saying that on my OBD II 1996 I can't access say the TPS readings or the O2 readings in real time nor can I override things? Mike

That looks pretty cool. Now all I need is that, and a new hard drive for my think pad and I'm set. I just need to collect about $240. I guess I'll have to wait awhile.

Scotty, if you get it, let us know how well it work. ;)

Have no experience with the Autotap.

But, I have been using this interface box and software for several years. It does a credible job on "P" codes and reading sensors that deliver information to the OBD connector. If the data is available, you can "read" it; including graphing O2 sensor swings and fuel trim responses.

You can download the software and run it in simulate mode to get a feel for the capabilities.

A full blown TechII it is not. This interface is designed for "reading" only.

http://obddiagnostics.com/index.html

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Mike,

Maybe I am wrong, but I thought you could only get into those parameters onboard with OBDI. OBDII requires the scan tool.

Larry, so you are saying that on my OBD II 1996 I can't access say the TPS readings or the O2 readings in real time nor can I override things? Mike

Yeah, that's what I got from a post recently by Guru. Until then I thought we could but when you enter the diagnostics and get to overrides, you can't enter them. I seem to recall only being able to retrieve codes, unlike my '92 where I could get more info than I knew what to do with. I believe Guru said that is because the Gov't mandated what OBDII will do. I recall him saying "If you don't like it, contact your your congressman". :lol:

So then let me ask you, what do you think about this computer program vs the DIC, can I at least retrieve the information through the DIC? Do you think there is a benefit to having this computer program? To see real time data as it is idling and while I am driving? Mike

Mike:

Here is a one-time offer that could help you answer your question; I will loan you my interface box and you evaluate the information. The software is available from the URL I gave earlier.

Message me with your SS number and mail address and I will get it to you this week (I'm kidding about the SS number!).

Disclaimer: I have no connection with the outfit that designed / built / sells the interface. It worked as advertised for me on several OBDII vehicles that do not display codes.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

So then let me ask you, what do you think about this computer program vs the DIC, can I at least retrieve the information through the DIC? Do you think there is a benefit to having this computer program? To see real time data as it is idling and while I am driving? Mike

Mike,

I don't know anything about these things. I'm lost on this one.

Scotty, I have the autotap with the enhanced GM software it costs about $200 for the autotap USB adapter and software , for the enhanced GM diagnostics it is another $100 or so . You probably can get it a little cheaper, that is retail. It will give you the O2 sensor graphs along with a lot more. I really recommend it , if you remember my post some time back about trying to get the readiness monitors to set so imy 97 STS would pass the new Pennsylvania emissions test. That is when I purchased the autotap and it works very well. The program has a few bugs but nothing real big.

Mike:

Here is a one-time offer that could help you answer your question; I will loan you my interface box and you evaluate the information. The software is available from the URL I gave earlier.

Message me with your SS number and mail address and I will get it to you this week (I'm kidding about the SS number!).

Disclaimer: I have no connection with the outfit that designed / built / sells the interface. It worked as advertised for me on several OBDII vehicles that do not display codes.

Jim thanks for the offer. Am I reading correctly that you need a serial port? The computer I am buying (DELL) does not have serial or LPT ports. I was looking through some of the sample screens, there was a graph for fuel pressure does it monitor fuel pressure?

There is a big difference in cost between the Autotap and the OBD Diagnostics. Let me purchase my laptop first and I may take you up on your offer, Thanks a lot, Mike

You will need a DB9 serial port or a USB to serial adapter.

The software will read fuel pressure, but I have not had it connected to a vehicle that provides fuel pressure data to the OBD connector. If anyone is aware of a vehicle that has a fuel pressure sender, I would appreciate knowing about it.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Scotty, I have the autotap with the enhanced GM software it costs about $200 for the autotap USB adapter and software , for the enhanced GM diagnostics it is another $100 or so . You probably can get it a little cheaper, that is retail. It will give you the O2 sensor graphs along with a lot more. I really recommend it , if you remember my post some time back about trying to get the readiness monitors to set so imy 97 STS would pass the new Pennsylvania emissions test. That is when I purchased the autotap and it works very well. The program has a few bugs but nothing real big.

Thanks for the info, druhl, I am thinking that a program such as this would be a great addition to my garage/tool box and bag of tricks, Mike

Scotty,

Take a look at this unit I purchased it about a year ago and have used it on the 97 STS, 96 Toyota Camry, and 02 Chevy S10. It works great and has graph and charts that are real time. You buy the interface, software is free to download. I bought the all in one enhanced unit Trican. It works great.

www.obd-2.com

Archived