CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1999 STS traction control and ABS lights

hiljak

Well, it looks like my 99 STS may end up being as much of a money pit as my 1995 STS was. Ok, before I explain the problem, I'll let you know that the power steering pump is leaking and needs to be changed (I have to add fluid to it every weekk or so as it starts whine) and I'm not sure if that anything to do with this.

About a week and a half ago, I noticed the "traction control" indicator light was on onthe dash, after a few seconds, the "ABS" indicator light came on along with a chime from the dash, then both lights went out. Starting yesterday, the traction control light comes on every time I start the car, then after about a minute of driving, the ABS light comes on along with a chime, then after about another minute they both go out. The wierd thing is, while the indicator lights are on, the seat heaters will not turn on.

I will pull the codes tonight and post back. Does anyone know what this could be?

Also, on a seperate note, how hard is the power steering pump to change? Thanks guys.

James

1999 STS 65k

1995 STS 127k

Hi, the same light sequence occured in my dad's 98 - it was caused by both brake blubs being blown. Changed the bulbs, warning lights went away. As to why the two bulbs blew simultaneously - who knows?

Hope your problem is as simple to fix, Tony

Well, her's the codes (there's so many I think I'm going to be sick).

B1982- Source/Battery voltage high.

C1736-Conpressor relay short to ground.

C1783- ICCS2 DL Left output short to ground.

C1785- ICCS2 DL Right output short to ground. >are these related to the ABS?

U1255- Class 2 initialization error.

U1040- Loss communication with ABS >this is obviously related.

U1301- Short to battery.

U1064- Loss of communication with DIM.

P0440- EVAP system?

P1189- Engine oil pressure switch. >I know this is just a bad switch, I will change.

P1602- Loss of EPTCM serial data???

P1617- Engine oil level switch circiut.

Does anyone know hat the ICCS2 DL Left and right are? I'm wondering if these are some kind of wheel sensors (hence laft and right) that maybe causing my problem. If anyone can shed some light, it's much appreciated.

James

1999 STS 65k

1995 STS 127k

I'm not sure about the strange light show that you are receiving but as for the power steering I'd try and fix the problem asap. A friend of mine had to do the same thing as you with adding fluid every week but the leak got worse one night and on our way to dinner the pump seized and left us sit in the Outback parking lot. Do you know for a fact that it is the power steering pump that is leaking? In my friends case the one place he went to had told him he needed a new steering rack which is why he'd been putting up with adding fluid, but after it broke down he took it to another place and it turned out all he needed was a high pressure hose.

The 98 shop manual tells me (and that's about all I know about it):

The C1783 and C1785 are DTCs for the data link between the continuously variable road sensing suspension (CVRSS) module and the Electonic brake/traction control module (EBTCM).

There can be a short to ground or open in circuits 790 (left) or 791(right). The opens can be in the wiring or within the EBTCM.

BTW, I've heard the EBTCM is sensitive to battery disconnect/reconnect.

I'm trying to sort a C1255 after replacing the original battery in my otherwise fine 98 STS.

I agree with Ranger. Do not try anything before you are sure your connections are good including those on the engine.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I checked the battery connections and they look fine (still need to check the ground point(s) on the engine block). Someone PM'ed me that they had the same problem which turned out to be a bad ignition switch. That hits home because almost everytime I go to start the car, when I turn the key all the lights and stuff come on but the starter doesn't engage. Move the key from on the start again and it fires right up. Does the dealer have to do the ignition switch change (cause of the keys and all that)?

James

1999 STS 65k

1995 STS 127k

After clearing the codes last night and driving the car, there's only a handfull of the codes present that were previously there, plus two more codes.

C1783- ICCS2 DL Left output short to ground.

C1785- ICCS2 DL Right output short to ground.

U1255- Class 2 initialization error.

U1040- Loss of comm with ABS

P1189- Engine oil pressure switch.

P1602- Loss of EPTCM serial data.

and the two new ones...

P1644- traction control delivered torque output.

C1780- loss of steering position signal.

95Concours, I think you might be right on the high pressure hose as opposed to the actual powersteering pump, Cadillac just recently did a power purge on the power steering pump and a few weeks later, the leaking started. My mechanic/neighbor said that condering that the fulid is "frothy" inside, it may be getting air leaked into it from a bad hose. He's going to check that out for me this week.

Ok I've added alot more info to this post so I will relist my questions as of this point.

1. Can someone clarify what the ICCS2 left and right are? Are these the wheel sensors I have heard about? If so, how do you check them?

2. If this does appear to be an ignition switch problem (considering that I have problems getting the starter to engage about 40% of the time), are we just talking about an electricl switch that hooks to the back of the key cylinder or does the key cylinder, keys and all that have to be changed and reprogrammed?

3. Finally, is there anyother issue that anyone can think may be causing these problems?

Logan, where are you buddy? I need your help once again! :D

James

1999 STS 65k

1995 STS 127k

IF your having this much trouble with your starting also , you have a connection problem , take the terminals loose, pull the double blade terminal apart and clean them thouroughly , do the same with the single blade, clean both sides of all of them . I find that a dremmel tool works best for this type of cleaning. NOW buy new screw post for both sides, also clean the battery sides. Based upon this many codes suddenly showing up , sounds like a battery connection problem , on these cars it will cause all kinds of problems

If you have poor connections at the battery , then you are probably going to have a no engagement starter issue. I would only do the ignition after i had thoroughly cleaned the terminal ends. They can look good and still not work worth a crap.

It is rare (but possible!) for an under-the-rear-seat-cushion battery terminal to develop / exhibit corrosion like an under-the-hood battery.

Another check would be the Park-Neutral safety switch. Move the gear selector when the problem occurs.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Sorry, I should have clarified, I replaced the battery (about 2 to 3 months ago) with a new Delco 5 year, so I know the battery itself is good. I took the terminals loose, just recently, for a check and they look clean as a whistle. The whole under the seat comparment is so clean I would eat a sandwich off of it.

I haven't checked the grounds at the engine block yet, but I will do that next. I'm going to inspect the ignition harness too and then I'll post back.

I have to get the power steering leak fixed ASAP, there is fluid all over the horizontal rubber boot right inside the passenger wheel (don't know what its called). I can't tell if fluid is coming out of it or leaking onto it and it is now at the point that I have to add power steering fluid to it like twice a week! Seems like when you have problems with a Caddy, it a shitload of things at once.

Thanks for the replies, I will post back with results.

James

1999 STS 65k

1995 STS 127k

Well,

I tried to remove the ignition switch for inspection...what a nightmare. I finally got all three of the mounting bolts out (had to remove the stereo/AC unit and knee bolster), but I can'r for the life of me get the park indicator cable loose fro the back of the ignition switch. I can feel (barely) the tabe that needs to be depressed but I can't get to it with any tools to depress (depressing it with my finger doesn't do the job either). I hate those type of clips! I may end up taking it to the dealer. I checked alldata and that job only pays 1.8 hours! I want to see the magician that can do it in that time!!!

I looked under the car at the power steering leak and it is either coming from the boot on the rack (passenger side) or the high pressure huse that runs right under the boot, or both. Cadillac did a presure purge on the power steering pump about two months ago and I'm wondering if thats why I'm having this problem now. When the wife gets home, I will have her crank the wheel while I look to see where the fluid is actually coming from. I dont even want to guess as to what the rack seals cost to replace. :blink:

James

1999 STS 65k

1995 STS 127k

UPDATE- After putting everything back together after trying to remove the ignition switchj, the problem with the traction control and ABS lights is completely gone, as is the random no start (this would only happen about 40% of the time and all I had to do was move the key from "on" to "start" again). I didi jostle the ignition around quite a bit while trying to get the stupid park indicator cable lose. My gues is that the problem definitely was the ignition switch and if the problem comes back, I'll get it changed.

The only other thing is that the neg battery cable was unplugged for a few hours while I was working with the ignition switch. Surely this didin't have anything to do with the fix but ya never know. Now for the power steering fluid leak!

Thanks to everyone who responded!

James

1999 STS 65k

1995 STS 127k

Archived