CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

My DeVille Got Hit

jndnaps

Logan:  Looks like you are presenting the Cadillac of solutions here.  Thank you for that.  I've never seen the activator built into the can and activated separately from the spray.

There are lots of lesser solutions available at auto parts stores, hardware stores, hardware departments of Target and WalMart, etc. that offer two spray cans, one to use with a buffer or elbow grease, and a second one to renew the coating.  The cans are available separately, and the instructions on the first can say to always use the second can and renew the UV protection, but often the second can is not even on the shelves.

I see lots of cars with cataracts out there.  I don't think that it's legal to drive at night when they get as bad as a lot of them that I've seen.  I wonder if it's legal to drive in the rain, because of compliance with the "wipers on, headlights on" laws.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's the perfect stuff. Cheap....extremely durable....extreme wet glossy look....crystal clear. Not a paint.....more like a 2 part epoxy. 

You will likely only find it on eBay. I have not seen it locally here..(Nashville).

Has like a 48 hour pot life. 

I have lamps that were sprayed 2 years ago.....they look like I did them yesterday. 

Guys that paint custom motorcycle gas tanks love it. Spilled gas does not remelt it. 

Has extreme scratch filling ability. You do not need to polish the lamp after sanding. See Saturn headlights pics below. Sanded....then sprayed. No polish.

You need a warm dry day. Product can cloud up some when spayed....it clears up as it dries / cures.  You can easily sand and polish out any small flaws.

vue2.jpg

vue3.jpg

spraymax2k.JPG

15 hours ago, Logan said:

This stuff works great for headlights. Two part...extremely glossy....cures rock hard...has UV protectant..

spraymax2.jpg

spraymax1.jpg

spraymax.jpg

weird. I do it by 3 stage wet sanding, then 3 coats of good clearcoat. then wax. Mixed luck.

I swear my 96 Deville had glass headlamps. They used 9006 and 9005 bulbs but the assemblies were glass. Were mint. I dont remember what my Seville has

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Web search on "spray max 2k clear coat" turns up lots of sources.  Here's Amazon photo that clicks through to their page, price $23 with shipping included (Prime members).

71KBzxVuFDL._SL1500_.jpg

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Same lamp....different MINI. 18 months after spraying with Spray Max 2K.. Zero additional care or maintenance .....no waxing or polishing since spraying. No deterioration at all. 

2yrlamp.jpg

On 11/10/2017 at 3:17 PM, Cadillac Jim said:

it can never get another insurance claim again.  The car becomes uninsurable if it has a salvage title.  It also reduces the BBW value to zero.  

I am a lawyer in California, and we have alot of salvage title cars here.  The car decreases in value, sometimes by alot, depending on the demand for the car.  And, the older and more popular the car, it seems, the price difference can be very small.

There are some insurance companies that will write collision and comprehensive coverage on a salvage car.  Some won't.  Then, if the car is totaled or badly damaged, the market value is less, but, it certainly has market value.  

A craigslist.org search on advanced google search, nationwide, for the make/model/year of the car with the word "salvage", will likely come up with salvaged cars for sale.  

Kelly Blue Book is not designed for the "sale" value of a car.  It is for banks to use to determine how much they will loan on the purchase of a car.  NADA guides and, to some degree, Edmunds, is a better guide for actual sale prices.  But, I've found that craigslist ads can be a better source in some regions.

1 hour ago, coolnesss said:

I am a lawyer in California, and we have alot of salvage title cars here.  The car decreases in value, sometimes by alot, depending on the demand for the car.  And, the older and more popular the car, it seems, the price difference can be very small.

There are some insurance companies that will write collision and comprehensive coverage on a salvage car.  Some won't.  Then, if the car is totaled or badly damaged, the market value is less, but, it certainly has market value.  

A craigslist.org search on advanced google search, nationwide, for the make/model/year of the car with the word "salvage", will likely come up with salvaged cars for sale.  

Kelly Blue Book is not designed for the "sale" value of a car.  It is for banks to use to determine how much they will loan on the purchase of a car.  NADA guides and, to some degree, Edmunds, is a better guide for actual sale prices.  But, I've found that craigslist ads can be a better source in some regions.

Thank you for getting back to us with the straight skinny, with all important detail.  What I was thinking is that the Blue Book Wholesale value is what insurance companies use as a ceiling on compensation, and a salvage title reduces that to zero.  What you are telling us is that for older cars in demand or as classics do have BBW value in CA and almost certainly elsewhere, which is news to me.  What you say about actual value being better reflected by sources other than Blue Book Wholesale (which is said by Blue Book to be compiled from dealer sources for recent actual prices paid to individuals for similar make and model cars) is, of course, true.  Note that BBW is intended as a measure of what to expect of an average sample offered to a dealer (possibly a used car dealer) as trade-in value, and that individual sale price is another number in the Blue Book prices for a car, as is Blue Book Retail, which is what you might expect to pay for the same car at a dealer as opposed to from an individual.

But the main point remains mostly unscathed by facts:  a salvage title on a 1996 Deville pretty much removes it from the financial spreadsheets of the insurance companies.  And, asking to do that to a car for a rear door dent and paint work is unconscionable.

On 11/17/2017 at 10:37 AM, Cadillac Jim said:

But the main point remains mostly unscathed by facts:  a salvage title on a 1996 Deville pretty much removes it from the financial spreadsheets of the insurance companies.  And, asking to do that to a car for a rear door dent and paint work is unconscionable.

Yes, you're right it's unconscionable.  Insurance companies used to be trusted, like banks, and that's not the case anymore.  Insurers play the numbers, and they've found that it is not economical for them to fix the door on an older car.  So, we have the option to take the money for the car, accept the salvage title, and fix the door.  In many cases, people come out ahead doing that.  But, not enough people know the tactic.

I would just say no on modifying the title in any way, particularly for something like a door dent.

it also suggests why so many craig's list cars say 'only had a fender bender' but has a salvage title.  Prior owner took the check & dumped the car?

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Archived