CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

My husband and I recently acquired a 1962 Fleetwood sedan. Beautiful Laurel colour with original interior in very good shape. Drove it home and then started noticing problems with fuel delivery over the next few days. Thought we had run it out of gas (fuel gauge doesn't work). Kept coughing and sputtering, and was causing my husband a lot of stress driving it. Never knew if we'd make it home. Also it wasn't out of gas! It wouldn't accept more than a few litres of premium gas at a time. My husband got it running better by blowing the fuel lines back. Then we drove it twice more, and suddenly it started backfiring a lot and now, we can't get it running more than 3 feet. 

My husband has worked on lots of cars and he really pays attention to doing things right. But he's stumped this time. He has changed filters and spark plugs etc, and wants to pull the gas tank and replace the gas gauge sender unit and tubes. Has anyone got any advice or experienced similar problems with this model? 

Thanks Cadillac lovers!

I've only worked on a couple of 62's but from what you've described it sounds like a plugged fuel pick up or possibly water or tank scale contaminated fuel.

Do you know how old the fuel is? Since the sending unit in the tank needs to be repaired I would start there. Replace - repair the sending unit and check the tank for scale, water etc..

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

Archived