CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

battery replacement

notch8

hi all-i'm glad to be aboard and it's nice to own a Cadillac! I recently bought my wife a used '96 eldo. It has 56000 miles on it, i am the 3rd. owner and it is in very good condition. I bought the car knowing that it needed a new battery, the acdelco in it was 6 years old, so yesterday i put in a new one and the trouble started. The radio plays fine but the clock on the factory bose radio is stuck on 12:00am and pushing the hr. or min. buttons do nothing also on the remote keyless entry-the doors lock & unlock but i've lost the remote trunk and fuel filler door open features! All these things worked properly before i unhooked the battery. Any help anyone can provide will be GREATLY appreciated! again thanks-roger

notch8,

First and foremost - Make sure the battery connectors are clean. You may have to pull the copper contact rings out of the rubber covers where the battery bolt runs through. Corrosion builds up between the contacts and prevents good connection. Use water / baking soda mixture to neutralize the corrosion and a soft brush (old toothbrush) to clean away the mess.

Once the above is checked, go to your owner's manual and look up the info on resetting your clock / radio settings. Then check how to set the remote key features. if this is not shown, search the forum for keyless entry or key fob programming. I've seen some in the recent past,

Good luck! :)

thanks to all for the help! even though they WERE clean, redoing the batt. terminals again fixed the clock- as for the remote problems- the "valet" button cleared them right up lol lol. again thanks and i love this site-roger

Archived