milansky

seville 1996 transmission stuck in second gear

Recommended Posts

Here is update on 1996 Seville stuck in second gear: If your transmission is stuck in second gear make sure that O-ring on small screen/filter in between 2 shift solenoids in lower valve body holds that small screen in place all the way in. After transmission overhaul car was suffering in second gear only conditions over and over. No codes present. All solenoids replaced including screens and main filter. Will post a picture of what Im talking about after figuring out how to get a photo in here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, milansky said:

Here is update on 1996 Seville stuck in second gear: If your transmission is stuck in second gear make sure that O-ring on small screen/filter in between 2 shift solenoids in lower valve body holds that small screen in place all the way in. After transmission overhaul car was suffering in second gear only conditions over and over. No codes present. All solenoids replaced including screens and main filter. Will post a picture of what Im talking about after figuring out how to get a photo in here.

Thanks for looping back.  Did it have to do with the bracket?  @milansky


Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BodybyFisher said:

Thanks for looping back.  Did it have to do with the bracket?  @milansky

No. Bracket intended for solenoids were not the case. There are small click-on pins that hold solenoids in place. It was all about that small screen and probably small original Oring on screen that simple popped out. We drilled very small and short hole (about 2milimiters) for miniature screw to hold it in. The screen im talking about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@milansky maybe I wasn't clear.  I know you are speaking about the screen.  It was unclear why the screen kept popping out.  It seems odd that you needed to devise a system to hold it in.


Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, BodybyFisher said:

@milansky maybe I wasn't clear.  I know you are speaking about the screen.  It was unclear why the screen kept popping out.  It seems odd that you needed to devise a system to hold it in.

No clue about this one. I had no pressure related codes pointing at high pressure problems or something that forced the screen out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2018 at 1:15 PM, BodybyFisher said:

@milansky maybe I wasn't clear.  I know you are speaking about the screen.  It was unclear why the screen kept popping out.  It seems odd that you needed to devise a system to hold it in.

Hi. Slightly different topic. Have u ever assisted anyone on this forum with rough idle after engine start problem during cold weather? I get P 0101code awhile after start when engine shakes as crazy but it disappears as soon as engine warms up and rough idle settles. No other codes or vacuum leaks. No fuel related leaks. If IAC valve is responsible for proper air+fuel mixture during cold start with air temperatures around 32 up to 60F, could that be a problem?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the manual on P0101 under intermittant code have you seen this?

Have you looked at possible causes?

I will look into the snapshot and see if we can retrieve the data

 

 

24236.jpeg


Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes that was checked. It's gotta be something that deals with temperature monitoring and mixing wrong air with fuel when it is called outside. As soon as engine warms up all goes back to normal. No oxygen sensor codes either. Im wondering whether faulty ECT sensor could be responsible for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is very easy to figure out but you must retrieve the snapshot data to know what set it.

When the P0101 sets it saves a snap shot of what went wrong.  By comparing that data to norms you will see what set it.

Do you have access to a tech2?

I will look later to see if there is a way to access the snapshot data through the dash.  


Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BodybyFisher said:

It is very easy to figure out but you must retrieve the snapshot data to know what set it.

When the P0101 sets it saves a snap shot of what went wrong.  By comparing that data to norms you will see what set it.

Do you have access to a tech2?

I will look later to see if there is a way to access the snapshot data through the dash.  

Unfortunately I dont. I have basic obd scanner. Im based in europe so i will have to visit caddilac dealer about this. Too bad we got warm weather in 80's temp.so car reacts absolutely fine

Edited by milansky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, milansky said:

Unfortunately I dont. I have basic obd scanner. Im based in europe so i will have to visit caddilac dealer about this. Too bad we got warm weather in 80's temp.so car reacts absolutely fine

Let me do some thinking on this.


Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, BodybyFisher said:

Let me do some thinking on this.

You are very kind. Than you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, milansky said:

You are very kind. Than you.

Why thank you.. But, in reality, I learn from you, while trying to help you, so we both benefit here.  Thanks

See this thread.   I know that prior to 96, snapshots could be retrieved through the dash, I am not sure that is true after 95.  When your P0101 sets, it stores a snapshot to be able to see what went wrong, it should be stored in your PCM as long as the battery hasn't been disconnected.   I will continue to research this.   The fellow in this thread has a 2000, and he got a message that a snapshot was taken.  

 


Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is some more good into from Bruce's thread.   In that thread, Scotty is me, that was my name before bodybyfisher.......

 


Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BodybyFisher said:

Why thank you.. But, in reality, I learn from you, while trying to help you, so we both benefit here.  Thanks

See this thread.   I know that prior to 96, snapshots could be retrieved through the dash, I am not sure that is true after 95.  When your P0101 sets, it stores a snapshot to be able to see what went wrong, it should be stored in your PCM as long as the battery hasn't been disconnected.   I will continue to research this.   The fellow in this thread has a 2000, and he got a message that a snapshot was taken.  

 

If u send me your email I will send u a picture of my previous transmission problem I was talking about. Thx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found it interesting that someone else had their stainer filter popping out 

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/4t80e-cadillac-transmission-problems-138474.html#/topics/138474

 


Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BodybyFisher said:

I found it interesting that someone else had their stainer filter popping out 

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/4t80e-cadillac-transmission-problems-138474.html#/topics/138474

 

See if you can upload a photo #1 I sent you for others to see on the forum. The one with valve body in place a screen out of position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, milansky said:

See if you can upload a photo #1 I sent you for others to see on the forum. The one with valve body in place a screen out of position.

 

20180405_182227_resized_1.jpg


Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is good also, it shows clearly how the strainer/filter popping out blocks fluid flow.  Thank you.

20180412_175001_resized.jpg


Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20180405_182227_resized_1_thumb_jpg_df7df61b48c9d202259ea45a02d73a40B copy.jpg


Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.