CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Passive shock and strut part numbers

I have searched and have been unable to locate the part numbers for the passive front struts and rear shocks for my 95 cad SLS. Soon, it will roll over 325,000 miles and I will post picks of it at that time.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

I bought kit #8 from BostonSuspension.com. The GM dealer installed them for $204.

No more noise and no installation problems.

4 1993-1996 Seville & Eldorado. Also, 1994-1996 Sedan DeVille:This is for a set of 2 front struts with new mounting hardware and the electronics to suppress the service ride control message. $275.00

5 1993-1997 Seville & Eldorado. Also, 1994 to 1999 Sedan Deville: This kit is for a set of 2 rear self adjusting air shocks with new mounting hardware, your car is equipped with this type of suspension. We suggest keeping it as stock, these work with your computer to self adjust with the load in your car, the same as the stock parts. $275.00

6 1993-1996 Seville & Eldorado. Also, 1994 to 1996 Deville: This kit is for a 4 Wheel suspension kit with self adjusting rear air shocks; a combination of the 2 above kits with new mounting hardware and electronics to suppress the service ride control message. $550.00

7 (*NEW*) Luxury Ride suspension kit 1993 to 1996 Seville & Eldorado. Also, 1994 to 1996 Deville: 4 Wheel suspension kit with computerized self adjusting rear air shocks. Same as kit #6, the difference is this delivers a luxury ride. This kit features all Monroe parts. $575.00

8 (*NEW*) Luxury ride Front struts 1992-1996 Seville & Eldorado. Also, 1994 to 1996 Sedan DeVille the best ride you can get! With electronics to suppress the ride control message. $325.00

Note, these are passive units as you mentioned. These are not the "active suspension" parts (about $800 each from GM), which may have been the original equipment on your car.

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Mike,

The weiner dogs and I clambered in the BRD and we emBARKED on an evaluation voyage to render a cognitive narrative on the qualitative properties re: pre/post strut replacement (we took a ride around town). :P

The hollow, "clungle" noise is absent and I no longer tend to avoid manhole covers and tar strips. It was getting so, that I maneuvered around painted lines even. :D

The car seems to steady better at a hard stop, such that there is no noticeable dip down and bob back.

The most interesting thing, however, is that the infamous "VCC chuggle" is much less pronounced. It used to be present from about 41 to 51 on a flat, smooth road. Now, it is only noticeable from 46 to 49 and if the cruise is on, it is almost imperceptible. That was unexpected and a nice surprise. Maybe the overall drive train harmonics changed a bit?

The weiner dogs still don't care for the relatively slippery leather seats, so we did not execute any cornering baselines. Their idea or "cornering" is to pull around the drive up window at McDonald's. :D

All in all, I would have to say the passive struts are doing just fine.

Regarding your springs,

Do you really think you need new springs to reduce the bottoming out? Maybe its time to take out the 400-pounds of winter-driving sand from the back floor instead? :rolleyes:

I don't know how much new springs cost but of course it would be a good time to change them with struts/shocks. However, I would hope the front struts and rear shocks would address most of the problem anyway.

All IMHO. :)

Thanks for that critique, its helpful, i especially like that you avoided the painted lines, I know that feeling.... Today I was avoiding storm drains on the parkway... :unsure:

The springs, hmm, I know everyone is trying to talk me out of the springs, but they are only $200 for all four. I figure that it will be MUCH easier to have the assembled strut assembly ready to go when I do this job. Rather than having to interrupt my work and have to go to a machine shop.

Plus I want to be able to report to our family here how my Deville feels with the new springs, I want a much tighter ride, and if I can buy heavy duty springs I will. I am considering the Concours springs as I think they would be more robust... Thanks for the input, Mike

cadillacjeff7777,

You noted "The struts for a 93 Seville are different then the 95 SLS."

Yes, that is probably true. No doubt - there are more than 10 or 12 types of caddy front struts and rear shocks, when specific mounting configurations are considered.

Even after you order a kit number, Boston still asks you for the specific year and model of your Caddy.

In that manner, they probably drill the mounting holes etc in order to make a number of standard struts/shocks - fit a specific year and model without stocking part numbers for every possible difference

I would ask them to that question yourself, if you are interested in passive struts.

Good luck :)

You may also want to look into the delco 580-2 (front 1 box both R and L struts) and 580-8 (rear sold indiviually) part numbers. These are stock replacements for a 95 deville. Maybe someone can comment wether the suspension is the same between a deville and seville of that year. I know they are the same for a 97.

The front struts run about $170 for the pair.

The rears are about $300 each - may be cheaper elsewhere.

I have heard some complaints on the caddilacforums board that the electronic bypass on the boston suspension system does not work on pre 96 cars. It looks as if they just provide the resistor bypass of the 96 up cvrss systems.

There is a member on that board (Goodyr) who had struts installed and had injectors put in place of the electronics and has had no error messages. There are some lively converstaions on this topic going on there.

Basically, I think that an inductive load is needed (instead of resistive) on the pre 96 cars.

Good luck.

Well, I had the cad in yesterday for the fuel rail recall and the airbag sensor recall. I will state that I had a very good experience there at Tinney Chevrolet in Greenville, MI. Anyway, I checked on strut and shock prices and I can get them for $560 X 4. Is it worth it? Should I just bite the bullet and replace with electronic shocks and struts?

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

... Is it worth it? Should I just bite the bullet and replace with electronic shocks and struts?

cadillacjeff7777,

YES! Replace with OEM..you won't Regret it!

Remember, the price of good quality is long forgotten

over the bad taste of poor quality...

you asked!

u have a 95 540x4=2160 pasive shocks from boston or arnott are 599 all the way round ive had very good luck with arnott save the money my 5cents :blink:

I have replaced both struts and shocks with Arnott's.

I have about two years or so on them.

The ride is great.

No error messages of any kind.

I created a PowerPoint Slideshow when I did the shocks. The shocks are equipped with the air control just as OEM.

I was in a hurry when I did the struts and did not document the procedure. No real problems with either situation other than the Arnott shocks and struts supplied wiring connections that were too long. Just tie the excess wire out of the way, with nylon ties and no problems.

The computer error problem is handled by using “dummy” solenoids of the same type/size on each shock/strut as the OEM ones..

Below is a link to my Cadillac information files. Access the Arnott Passive Shocks directory. I would recommend downloading and then viewing for a better (faster response) slideshow.

-George

Cadillac Information

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

I also purchased Arnott’s full package for my ’93 STS, at around 550.00 The installation was no great chore, expense or mystery. It’s been probably a year and some thousands of miles now, with a great handling Cadillac and no problems.

George’s instructions were a big help, btw. ;)

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

Archived