CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Northstar oil burning?

eld0etc

Quick question, I think I've read before that northstars do have an issue with burning oil and this is perfectly normal for this engine. I have a 95 etc which does slightly burn oil, between every 3000 k oil changes I usually have to put about 2 quarts give or take. I;m just curious if anyone is familiar with this.

Thanks

We are quite aware that alot of Northstars burn oil.

I see old men at gas stations adding oil to their cadillacs all the time.

I just wait until the check oil level message comes on then I add 2 quarts in my garage.

I cut my perceived consumption WAY down by just Stopping the "topping-off" and currently Never fill beyond 1/2qt. low. It was that first 1/2qt. (and certainly anything above) that I was losing quickly.

You really Can drive around perfectly safely with 7qts. (and lower) in the engine.

I put in about 3 quarts between every 5-6,000 mile oil change. And I have what looks to be an oil pan gasket leak, which I have to fix in the near future.

I'm curious as to why you're changing oil every 3,000 miles. If it's sooner than the oil change indicator says to because you believe it will help the engine last longer, don't fall for it. However, if that’s simply your preference, I have no criticism.

Yes most ns engines burn oil by design. Anywhere between 1/2 and 3 quarts per 3000 miles, depending on the year. If you really want to see crazy oil comsumption, buy a BMW M car, or a new Mazda RX-8! Most newer engines are designed to use some oil to facilitate better top end lubrication. But once again, Caddy was first with another new idea, and therefore it took them time to "dial it in" for the best of both worlds.

Wow, I see its definatly a known problem...thanks for your help... btw about me changing my oil every 3 k, I never heard of anyone say that being a problem.

Its just not necessary to change your oil so often, follow the Oil Life Monitor. Given that you are putting a quart or two in every 3,000 miles, it kind of replenishes your oil....

Wow, I see its definatly a known problem...thanks for your help... btw about me changing my oil every 3 k, I never heard of anyone say that being a problem.

Its just not necessary to change your oil so often, follow the Oil Life Monitor. Given that you are putting a quart or two in every 3,000 miles, it kind of replenishes your oil....

You bet! I don'e see it as a problem at all...More like a mini oil change for a world class high performance engine. ;)

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

Archived