CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Sprung A Leak

allright i got another problem, bout 10 min ago i went into my garage to change my brake pads and i noticed oil all over the bottom of the car but it is in a very unusual spot i just changed my motor oil yesterday i put 5 qts of oil in it now i'll be lucky if there is 1 qt in there, the leak is occuring from some where behind the transmission pan cause there is oil all over the tranny pan i dont know what it is does anybody know? Please help me i dont wanna have to park pearl

i dont know what is going on man,when i changed the oil yesterday i had to clean the block with degreeser and the block is still clean now it don't look like its leakin from the filter. i hope it is nothing serious.cause i don't think i can take that right now. im goin crazy over here this crap is *smurf* weird it drove fine all day after the oil change,i checked bout 10 times for leaks after i changed the oil,but its leakin now i don't get this crap.

Aloha,

The most logical place is as Mike says the filter. I have gotten the wrong one from a parts house and lost all the oil within a mile. It may be too tight and the gasket bad. It would be best to clean it off and then lookaround. Check the valve cover gasketts first. next go to the main seal between the engine and the transmission. Really though, to pump out 5 quarts in a day it must be the filter.

Good luck Ed

I agree with the filter. Alot of folks tighten thier filters way too much. This results in the gasket squishing out, and leaving a place for a leak. It happened to me once, so I know how it is. Ever since then, the filter goes on just with hand pressure. When it is time to remove, I can remove it with just my hand also.

After the filter gasket "first makes contact" with the block, 1/2 - 3/4 turn. That is it. That is all that is needed. Anything more, and you risk a leak.

Don

"Modern warriors saddle iron horses of chrome."

Archived