CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Smell of gas in the engine oil

allright people, i got a serious question for ya'll but the time here is 11 pm right now in huntsville,alabama and i just got through checkin up on pearl i do this quite a bit she is like my kid.but anyway i took the oil filler cap off and took a look at the valves and stuff like that then as i go to put the cap back off i noticed that i smell gas,commin from the valves,does anyone have any idea what in the world that could mean,and if there is anyway for me to fix this problem

i got a feeling that whatever it is its gonna cost me allot of money to fix if it is even fixable. Is it fixable. could it be the egr valve by any chance because i do get a error code for my egr valve.

You noted in other recent posts that you were concerned about life expectancy (the car's I think) and high-mileage oil.

You later added that you had the oil changed and now that you tend to fuss over "Pearl" and like to "sniff her oil". (you ole devil you) ;)

Well, did you change the oil or did someone else? If someone else, did they flush the old oil with anything else (like a bit of gas maybe) - thinking it would be good to get rid of some crud? <_<

Or is the fine fragrance of the new oil simply confusing your snoot for now? :P

I think that one of the most direct routes for gas to oil is via the piston rings.

Could you have a very leaky injector? Although I'm not sure an injector could leak that severely and not be noticed otherwise.

Maybe the key was on and an injector leaked into a cylinder - and you did not start the engine, such that it slowly leaked past the rings into the oil. Granted, a lot of ifs in a row there.

In the really out there category, does anyone else know you snort Pearl's scent? Maybe they were just hoping you were gonna take a hit with a lit cigarette - so they are messing with you? How's that for high paranoia? :lol:

Really, good luck :)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

allright check this out is it something i should be directly concerned about now? i really don't wanna go to the dealership because if i wanna give money away...

they wanted $500.00 to do my valve cover gasket actually it was $560.00. all that for a part dat don't cost no more than $35 i called firestone they only charged me $140.00 very big difference people. now don't get me wrong i still love cadillacs i just don't ###### with the [...] deallership. plain and simple.

but will someone who knows about this problem,or has any idea what it is and what i can do to fix it hit me up [via personal mail]. I just wanna know if it something serious. [...] :D thanks hit me up on da hip.

[with a few edits - Bruce]

Did you check the Fuel Pressure Regulator? Before I replaced mine, I smelled the gas all over under the hood. Did you experience any new condition by driving the car? Anything different at all?

1960 Sedan De Ville (sold)

1970 Coupe De Ville (sold)

1987 Mazda RX-7 (sold)

I think that the only way you will get gas into the oil (if infact that is where the smell is coming from) is as TDK said via a leaking injector. I would think if that is the case the fuel system would leak down completely overnight. Before you start it in the morning either put a fuel guage on it or just put a rag over the schreader valve and see if it has any pressure. If it does, perhaps it's a leaky FPR and your smelling fumes from the intake, but that's pretty well sealed.

I had the same thing on my 98 sts. I took it to the dealer and they said it was a bad FRP (fuel pressure regulator). They replaced it under warranty. Don't know if that was the problem. I have parked my caddy for the winter. The other cause would be a leaky injector. I believe one way to check this is to remove the fuel rail, energize the injectors ( turn the key to ignition) and watch for any injectors dripping.

she seems to be driving just fine I havent noticed any signiffincant change in anything. I check for any new error codes that might have popped up just about everyday,nothing new just the egr valve error code which seems to pop up all the time. Does anybody know what i can do to fix that problem? I've been askin around to see if anyone else has the gas in the oil problem, and my boss at work says that he has the same problem with his van. ooooh yea while im on here i have one more problem to discuss with yall this mornin when i checked the oil it came up about a half Qt short, I thought i had a oil leak but the leak was actually tranny fluid from the bolts not being tight enough. so the only other way i see it loosing that much oil is that it is burning it off, so i got this friend who is a mechanic,i use 10w30 motor oil he mixed a half Qt of 10w40 in with it, and it has been drivin great,but does anybody have any idea why it could be burrin the oil off like that? and i still have one more ? Should I be concerned about this whole gas & oil thing? Please tell me. thanx....

The only way to check for a leaky injector is to pull the fuel rail and injectors, turn the key on to pressurize the fuel system and watch for a leaky injector. Yes you should take care of it. Gas in the oil is not good. It will thin the oil.

Oil consumption is normal on the Northstar. Go to http://www.cadillacforums.com. Click on technical archives in the upper left corner and read up on oil consumption. Once you understand it you won't worry about it or consider it a problem. It was written by a GM engineer.

• 2 weeks later...

Logic would tell me it could, but I suspect it would take quite a bit of gas to do that and in that case you'd have bigger problems than an oil leak.

Listen, maybe you are looking for trouble by smelling the oil. Used oil will have an odd smell to it and you may not have a problem. If you are not getting any codes, you don't smell rotten eggs, the engine runs ok, and you don't have any leaky injectors, I think you are ok. I would pull the fuel rail, turn the key on to pressurize the fuel system and see if any injectors are leaking. I would think if you had a leaking injector you would have a drivability problem however.

What EGR code do you get, EO48?

Dont mean to hijack this by any means but I'm experiencing similiar issues. I'm getting only about 8mpg tops in the city, and the rotten egg smell about 15% of the time... not getting any codes though. I smelled my dipstick and am pretty sure there's some gas in there. Not to mention every place I take my car to says the pans bolts are seeping oil as well as the gasket... this occured after I'm almost positive it was overfilled with oil. So tell me if this scenario might just be the case... it was overfilled, there are some slight leaks but then the gas in it thinned it and just made it that much worse, causing a heavier drip and the smoke occasionally rising from under the hood from it hitting the exhaust. :unsure: ... god why are there no caddy guys in the tri-state?!??

Dont mean to hijack this by any means but I'm experiencing similiar issues. I'm getting only about 8mpg tops in the city, and the rotten egg smell about 15% of the time... not getting any codes though. I smelled my dipstick and am pretty sure there's some gas in there. Not to mention every place I take my car to says the pans bolts are seeping oil as well as the gasket... this occured after I'm almost positive it was overfilled with oil. So tell me if this scenario might just be the case... it was overfilled, there are some slight leaks but then the gas in it thinned it and just made it that much worse, causing a heavier drip and the smoke occasionally rising from under the hood from it hitting the exhaust. :unsure: ... god why are there no caddy guys in the tri-state?!??

Milage is very very low. Check the FPR.

Hi,

I had these symptoms on another car (Jaguar XJ40) and it turned out to be the fuel pressure regulator. It had a leaking diaphragm inside and was spitting gas through the vacuum port into the intake. No need to say it was running rich! I removed the fuel pump relay to let it run dry and the car ran without fuel pressure for five minutes!

Mine was easy to check, I removed the vacuum port from the FPR and there was gas leaking out.

Good luck

Stefan

Prestige Automotive 534-1800 has a ton of experience with Cadillacs, having worked for Carriage and Bentley for years. If you have a problem they will tell you and if you don't they will also tell, you rather than try to take advantage of you.

Good Luck.

Archived