CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Refuel: Range!

yenko

When my range is drops down to LO how many miles can I travel before I have to refuel do you think! Can I wait until the "Check Fuel Guage" message to appear! I know before it hits low I have 40 miles, but I still fuel up right away....

IMPORT CRUSHER

user posted image

I definately drive for awhile after the range says low. After it says low... the "fuel level very low" message comes up after about 25-30 miles. Thats when I get scared...as soon as that message comes up. You are definately good for at least 30 miles.

Chris

Is your sts the northstar?

Christopher Petro

94 sts

67 coupe de Ville

user posted image

The owners manual should tell you but why do you want to play Russian Roulette so to speak. I have always refill at 1/4 and considered the last 1/4 as a reserve. I've always told my daughters (and wife), call me if you have any problems but don't dare call me if you run out of fuel. My youngest did that not long after she started driving....... she called my neighbor :lol:

The owners manual should tell you but why do you want to play Russian Roulette so to speak. I have always refill at 1/4 and considered the last 1/4 as a reserve.

Ditto that. You NEVER know if the road will be closed ahead, or if you'll get caught in a traffic jamb, or if it's a cold dark road and your wheel falls off or something and you need to run the engine for heat while the wrecker comes, etc. You just NEVER know what you'll be faced with up ahead. Refill when the tank gets to 1/4 is my advice.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I'm an old school guy, and one of the things I was taught in the old school was to NOT let the tank get below 1/4 if you could help it. The theory was that there is very possibly 'crud' in the bottom of the gas tank ('crud' could be water, particulate matter, foreign goo, especially in older cars.) Anyway, the idea was to not suck this crud into the fuel lines, filters, then carbs or injectors. Even a partially crud clogged filter may end up giving you drivability problems. Less than a 1/4 tank, or "LO" can also cause other transportation problems like" walking" I was taught, especially should an emergency arise...

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

I usually anticipate when I'll need to fill up and plan accordingly. I have no problem with driving until the low fuel warning comes on. It seems like every time I drive my wife's car, the DIC displays "LOW FUEL".... :lol:

I've never had any problem with crud plugging anything in the fuel system. The pickup is at the bottom and any water or crud would settle to the bottom anyway - even with a full tank. The fuel pump inlet strainer is supposed to prevent water from being sucked up by the pump.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I usualy drive until the check fuel gauge message comes up! The low comes on and I can usually squeeze in about another 30 miles after that! The check fuel comes on and I have about 10 to 15 miles and since we do live in a small area theres not to many times that theres traffic jams or emergencys like that theres always a gas station right around the corner LOL! :lol:

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

I can never tell how many miles I really have left becuase the feul guage needle is on the empty line and that makes me nervous when I am driving! So I usually fill up within minutes after I see the Lo range!

IMPORT CRUSHER

user posted image

I always drive with almost full tank. There is no benefit in driving empty. Most of the people think that they can save more by driving on low, but that does not make any sense. Only mileage dictates fuel consumption, not how full is the tank. Keep the tank full, it will cost you the same, and you will worry less.

1960 Sedan De Ville (sold)

1970 Coupe De Ville (sold)

1987 Mazda RX-7 (sold)

If you live in a cold location you should probably keep the fuel tank half to 3/4 full to prevent condensation of moisture and the dreaded "fuel line freeze."

There's another one I was taught in the 'old school' back east... ;)

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

I suppose that in theory, if you're always driving on empty, you'd get better gas mileage because of the reduced weight of the car. In practice, all that really means is that you'd be going to fill up more, releasing more VOCs into the atmosphere. I don't understand what there is to gain by running the thing to empty. You have nothing to lose by filling it when it gets to 25% full, so why take the chance of the gauge being a little off or SOMETHING unexpected happening??

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Well ya see I'm on a tight budget so I have to have it on empty most of the time and if I get 10 bucks I will put it in but usually its on empty LOL! I should have bought a Honda and got better gas miledge because of my tight budget but than I wouldn't have a Cadillac anymore! :D

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

The 94 STS display does'nt tell you how many estimated miles you've got left?

The 94 STS display does'nt tell you how many estimated miles you've got left?

It has fuel mileage and range just like yours. Had an 85 eldo, it had it, and so did the 91 sedan deville I used to drive.

Also, the 91 had the digital fuel gauge, ie it said # of gals. When it went to 2 gallons, it really only had two in there because once it went to E it only had about a gallon left. That car was ran out of gas a few times...(not just by me)

Chris

Christopher Petro

94 sts

67 coupe de Ville

user posted image

:rolleyes: when my car gauge is showing half full im thinking gas station before it gets too hungry u got to feed these animals before they get too hungry or they will eat u up

:rolleyes: when my car gauge is showing half full im thinking gas station before it gets too hungry u got to feed these animals before they get too hungry or they will eat u up

Archived