CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Test-drove a CTS-V, what fun - but close!

TDK

Well,

When I picked up the BRD after its new front struts (only $204 for labor to install), there was a silver 2004 CTS-V just outside (yum)!

I complimented the owner of the dealership on his guys' work and mentioned the CTS-V. The sales guy just handed me the keys and said see ya later sir :blink: ... Just expect that treatment in a big city. :P

I gave it few miles to get used to the 400-hp and 6-speed. Its been a while, but I never killed it or missed a shift - even with steel-toed work boots. I launched it without much wheel spin at the Interstate ramp where also I bench mark the BRD. That shifter is a really short throw (and reverse is tough the first time)

The CTS-V was well over 110 at the base (about 10-15 better than the BRD) and whoa baby - there's a Trooper just ahead talking to a trucker. I backed it down to the mid-80's and cranked it up again before exiting to reconnoiter.

The next launch was hotter by a good bit - the rpm limiter kissed at about 7,000 when one of the next gears caught. I had to glance over/back a bit to check for merging (not much traffic but not a good time for surprises either). I was still in it hard in 4th or 5th when the speedo was around to about 130 or so.

I let it back off a bit and noticed a lone dark car about a mile or so ahead in the other side of the Interstate. My internal sensors lit up and I geared it down to bring it back to the mid-80's again alongside and just back of another car.

Sh*t! :unsure: sure enough, this was another Trooper and he flipped around the median about a half-mile after we crossed paths. No lights on his part and I was behaving behind the other car now and signaling exit again.

Basically, I'm here now without any NHP love notes - so he evidently did not get a stable lock-on with me slowing and the other car a bit in between us on a slight curve. I could not see any determination on his part - and I was payin' attention to say the least. I'll take luck against skill any day... B)

I tooled around town a bit and picked up "She who must be obeyed" to go get the BRD from the dealership. She saw the 6-speed and simply said NO WAY ! My "mid-life crises" will just have to wait I guess. :lol:

The dealership owner asked me if I "got on it" (my reputation apparently precedes me) and I told him it will move just fine.

They would let it go for a little over $39,000 with only 14,000-miles and "all the options".

Even with all the snort of a 400-hp Vette engine pushed hard - the NorthStar sounds better! Dang its was fun though, although I didn't try any hard corners etc at speed.

The Deville interior is obviously much larger and plusher - so its hard to downsize.

We looked around at a couple Devilles he had; a 2002 with 48,000-miles at $18,500 (perfect) and a 2004 with 24,000-miles at $24,000 (not cleaned up yet).

Oh yeah, The BRD really likes its new front knee joints (struts). The stab bar bushings were OK and there were no RSS codes or anything else. They simply followed the Boston Suspension instructions).

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Wow, sounds like a blast!

Your story was interesting to read too, because just last night my girlfriend and I were used car shopping, for her first car, and we came across a nice Sunfire GT. I was suprised as how readily the salesman threw me the keys, and said take it for a spin. It was a manual, and I gave 'er with all the 150 horses she had. That was a blast too... pailing in comparasson to your adventure, of course!

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

Wow I can't believe your dealership installed parts that you didn't buy from them. My dealership would never do that in a million years.

That's the first thing I thought when I read the post, besides the great ride in the CTS-V. :) I've already been casually scoping out third party installers in case I end up with an aftermarket suspension, like Boston or Arnott.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived