CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Tranny Problems

phillydude

Hey kids... long time no post.

Last week, I sunk about $2000 into my 94 STS: $1000 to get the AC compressor (and the assorted belts, pulleys and such) replaced (which had seized up back in November); $500 to replace the positive battery cable which had corroded to the point that the car wouldn't start (and a new battery to go along with it); and $500 to get it to pass emissions inspection (it had been running a bit rough, which was due to problems with two coils, wires, and plugs).

Anyway, I was driving on the highway just now and the Service Engine Light came on and I immediately lost power... I was able to keep my speed at 40-45mph and got off at the next ramp. I can drive the car at low speeds, but it doesn't seem to shift out of first (or maybe second) gear. I limped it home (about 15 miles) at 40mph, trying to keep the rpm's below 3000, as any more than that had no effect on the overall speed.

If I recall, this might be a "shift solenoid" problem??? If so, anyone have an idea how much that would cost to have it fixed at the dealership? I got laid off a few weeks back, so money is kind of tight and I'd like to know what kind of $$$ I might be into before I decide on how to proceed. I don't think there is much choice but to get it fixed, given my recent investment in the car and the fact I couldn't sell it the way it is now... but I'll probably have to borrow some cash.

Thanks in advance... any insight or advice would be appreciated.

Archived