CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

4.6 in new Boneville

norbi

I was just looking at the new Boneville v8 with the Northstar engine and notticed that what it is, is an Oldsmobile Aurora changed to Pontiac Boneville just with a 4.6 instead of 4.0 engine so i was wondering if 4.6 Northstar doesnt matter if its with 275 or 300 Hp will directly replace 4.0 in 2001-2003 Aurora without changing electronics and wiring.

I don't think so. The PCM will definitely be different between a 4.6L engine and a 4.0L engine. I don't know if the actual wiring harness would be physically different, but I think at the very least, you'd need to somehow use a 4.6L PCM (which probably wouldn't work with the rest of the car, since the Aurora probably uses a few different body systems than the Cadillacs do).

Don't get me wrong, anything is possible, but I think this particular swap would involve more work than you want to get into.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

So i see that if something happens to my 4.0 in my Aurora there might be a lot of work required to change it over to 4.6 Northstar. I am trying to do some research if how much the wiring is different just dont know where to start so i came here. I was doing same research for my 88 Cutlass SUpreme with 2.8 and wanted to find out if 3.1 will fit after a while i did some research and i ended up with a 3.1 in my 88 CS from a 93 Lumina and almost everying hooked up to it.

I went to the Nashville auto show....it appears from the Bonnie pics that the same car made the trip to Philli...

It is one of the cars I am considering as my next car. Problem is...I buy used and there really very few of these cars around....

In addition....the Bonneville is going away next year....

I noticed in the 05 STS the Northstar is sitting in there vertical compared to our Cadillacs which is Horizontal, is this correct?

Because it appears that the Bonneville's Northstar is Horizontal

"Cadillac, it's not a car, it's an obsession"

-W.Kingdon

I noticed in the 05 STS the Northstar is sitting in there vertical compared to our Cadillacs which is Horizontal, is this correct?

Because it appears that the Bonneville's Northstar is Horizontal

If I am not mistaken... the Bonneville GXP is a FWD like the pre-05 Cadillac's. The new STS is available in rear wheel or all wheel drive only.

The picture of that Boneville that shows underneath the hood looks like my Aurora with hood open so if i dropped the engine and changed computer i should be good then right????????? To my understanding i need a computer that came with the 4.6 engine and it will run.

I am sorry for asking so many questions but 4.6 is really my dream in Aurora not now but in future just like it was to put a 3.1 in my car and done it so i just want to know for my future project.

So How did GM deal with the 68 - 75 mph front end hop in the Bonne chassis? Is it the HD suspension, or some additional control links? I mean, if the drive train is basically identical, why do so many Sevilles (up to and inluding 2003) exhibit the front end hop? Some have linked it recently to the front motor mount, but I am not yet convinced that is the culprit. I would expect the Bonneville to have similar issues.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

To my understanding i need a computer that came with the 4.6 engine and it will run.

Unfortunately it is not that simple at all. All of the systems in the car have to agree with the PCM... I hate to say it, but for the amount of trouble you would be far better off just buying a Caddy if the 4.6 is all you're after.

Funny, I've driven three (besides my own) that have the problem, figured it was just poor design as we determined about 2 years ago. Also one of the reasons that Caddy began to look into RWD or the longitudinally mounted northstar for the newer designs. I suppose, for those who need visual assurance of the problem, swing the BIG sunvisor to the left, and drop the LITTLE PLASTIC sunvisor down about halfway, accelerate to about 75 and let the the car coast a little downward below 68, if you don't see that little sucker dancing around...you don't have a problem. For the rest of us, I guess it's back to the road force balance machine.

JohnnyG Posted on Feb 25 2005, 05:17 PM

...for those who need visual assurance of the problem, swing the BIG sunvisor to the left, and drop the LITTLE PLASTIC sunvisor down about halfway, accelerate to about 75 and let the the car coast a little downward below 68, if you don't see that little sucker dancing around...you don't have a problem ...

I have a 200 mile ride in front of me tonight, so I'll be giving this a try!

Jim

tjtj, you don't say what model your Caddy is, this is prevelent in the G chassis Seville. After the dog bones were gone. Haven't heard a lot about other models, but we had a huge discussion on this board about a year or so ago and many had the problem.

I know my friends 2001 Aurora 3.5 V6 feels like the front of the car lifts up when he floors it, it feels weird like the car is too light on the front. I read somewhere else that they tend to do that, but my Aurora 4.0 doesnt do it as much probably becuause its heavier but i get a lot of torque steer.

I know my friends 2001 Aurora 3.5 V6 feels like the front of the car lifts up when he floors it, it feels weird like the car is too light on the front. I read somewhere else that they tend to do that, but my Aurora 4.0 doesnt do it as much probably becuause its heavier but i get a lot of torque steer.

No, this isn't what I'm talking about. Not likely that the front end coming up will cause the front end to shake at 68 -72 mph. What I'm talking about feels more like an out of balance tire, but no amount of balancing will get rid of it. I thought that the Bonneville front suspension may have a different design that eliminated the problem so common to the Seville.

JohnnyG Posted on Feb 27 2005, 06:16 AM

What I'm talking about feels more like an out of balance tire, but no amount of balancing will get rid of it.

I don't have that problem. But isn't their a unique way to to have the tires balanced to get rid of this? Thought I've to get your tires balanced on this particular machine (don't remember the name) and it helps take it out.

Jim

Well, there is the road force balance, but it doesn't always eliminate it, is expensive, not many know how to do it right, and is not required on 99% of the other makes and models of cars on the road. The machine you are trying to remember the name of is the Hunter GSP9700 road force balance machine. Been there, done that, made it bearable, but did not eliminate. I was wondering if the Bonneville inherited the problem along with the drive train, or if something else was done to cope with the problem.

Archived