CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Antifreeze Tester

Scotty

Is Dexcool polypropylene based? I would like to purchase a tester I just don't know if it would function right with Dexcool.. Thanks, Mike

See tester here:

http://www.etoolcart.com/index.asp?PageAct...ROD&ProdID=2789

What does a refractometer do that this cheapo units does not do?

http://www.etoolcart.com/index.asp?PageAct...ROD&ProdID=5731

That site has some interesting automotive tools. Any similar automotive tool sites would be appreciated

Scotty,

I read the one links and I think they meant to ask about propylene glycol vs ethylene glycol. :)

Polypropylene-based might be a bit tough to circulate (essentially plastic) :P

Without doing some research/confirmation, I would guess that almost any engine antifreeze is ethylene - not propylene. The freezing, boiling points, heat capacity and relatively low viscosity are probably all better with ethylene (not without a cost though). <_<

Propylene is usually used for RV water line anti-freeze and is less of a problem with organisms. :rolleyes:

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Scotty,

I didn't read all your links, but I think you mean to ask about propylene glycol vs ethylene glycol.  :)

Polypropylene-based might be a bit tough to circulate (essentially plastic)  :P

Without doing some research/confirmation, I would guess that almost any engine antifreeze is ethylene - not propylene.  The freezing, boiling points, heat capacity and relatively low viscosity are probably all better with ethylene (not without a cost though).  <_<

Propylene is usually used for RV water line anti-freeze and is less of a problem with organisms.  :rolleyes:

NO REALLY, look at this site, that is what they said, :lol::lol:

http://www.etoolcart.com/index.asp?PageAct...ROD&ProdID=2789

Whoops,

I edited my post after I read the first link (hence the diff in my post/your quote). Dang you're quick on the reply! :o

The el'cheapo appears to check specific gravity. A spg reading simply lets you know there is something else in the solution in addition to water.

The $210 refractometer is not a bad price, but you may want to look around. This device assigns a "refractive index" value based on the actual concentration of the solution. These are usually specific to a given solution, but are way better than any spg method.

Quick answers for sure, and also sure to not beat your lightening-fast responses... :D

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

You don't need this to test dexcool. Dexcool is Ethylene Glycol based, just like good o'l prestone. Propolene Glycol is the non-toxic stuff used in RV's and water lines and toilets....and cigar humidors if you want to know the truth. Dexcool is NOT non-toxic!

Anyway, a plain old antifreeze tester should work very well. I don't know where the refractometer line came from. I have one but I never learned how to use it. It appears to be able to tell you a bit more about the concentation of a mixture. Especially a mixture of organic compounds with water. I have a Leicia that was used to determine the concentration of ethanol in gasoline(or was it the water content of ethanol).....would you like to have it bbobynski, for the snowmobile? I have also seen them used to determine the concentration of AFFF (firefighting foam) and water, for fuel storage tanks as the material left the mixing valve.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

You don't need this to test dexcool. Dexcool is Ethylene Glycol based, just like good o'l prestone. Propolene Glycol is the non-toxic stuff used in RV's and water lines and toilets....and cigar humidors if you want to know the truth. Dexcool is NOT non-toxic!

Anyway, a plain old antifreeze tester should work very well. I don't know where the refractometer line came from. I have one but I never learned how to use it. It appears to be able to tell you a bit more about the concentation of a mixture. Especially a mixture of organic compounds with water. I have a Leicia that was used to determine the concentration of ethanol in gasoline(or was it the water content of ethanol).....would you like to have it bbobynski, for the snowmobile? I have also seen them used to determine the concentration of AFFF (firefighting foam) and water, for fuel storage tanks as the material left the mixing valve.

Thanks, I will use a regular tester then

bbobynski, hey thats great information. I didnt think that the hydrometer that you can buy for peanuts was accurate. I will buy a refractometer soon, I have bought a few things from Harbor Freight. Thanks, Mike

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=90716

bbobynski, hey thats great information. I didnt think that the hydrometer that you can buy for peanuts was accurate. I will buy a refractometer soon, I have bought a few things from Harbor Freight. Thanks, Mike

Ah, Harbor Freight...Gotta love that place. There's a big old HF store about 10 minutes for my office. Great place for lunch time excursions.. ;)

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

bbobynski, hey thats great information.  I didnt think that the hydrometer that you can buy for peanuts was accurate.  I will buy a refractometer soon, I have bought a few things from Harbor Freight.  Thanks, Mike

Yea....I have to admit to owning quite a bit of stuff from Harbor Freight. I hate china stuff but I hate worse buying the same china stuff rebranded as a major brand for 10 times as much.... As least Harbor Freight is upfront with the source of their stuff. It has improved dramatically over the last 10 years with most of the things I have gotten from them being of reasonable quality for occasional use....not the type of stuff for heavy duty or every day use maybe but certainly good for the average DIY person. I notice that a lot of their stuff seems to be off the exact same tooling that was the "last years" version of some big name stuff. Seems like they buy the old tooling and make the stuff for cheap and sell it for cheap. If you are carefull with what you buy from them they have some nice stuff for c-h-e-a-p. Stuff that I wouldn't buy otherwise in many cases due to the cost from other sources.

Harbor Freight also opened a store in Detroit and Flint, Michigan so that is REALLY an attractive nuisance.....LOL LOL My wife readily recognizes HarborFreight on the Visa bill.....LOL

Harbor Freight has a store in Grand Rapids - about a 40 minute drive for me.... Lots of neat stuff.

I was going to buy one of their 20 gallon parts washers until I read the disclaimer "use only household detergents or the pump will be damaged". I want to use SC-140 solvent or mineral spirits but need to find a pump that will handle it.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived