CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

MY FIRST RACE

GR8NSTAR

I was on my in to work this morning about 5:25am. I was speeding as I had to be

there at 5:30am doing about 55mph in a posted 45mph. I was traveling in the center lane of a 3 lane road when this Grand Am or Grand Prix pulls up along side my left. I wasn't really paying any attention to this vehicle but I noticed that the faster I went so did the Grand Am.....then it dawned upon me that this guy was trying to race me. I couldn't resist. I floored it and quickly put some distance between us. We both ended up a stop light and I looked over at him and noticed he and a buddy were laughing. I thought that was the end but sure enough when the light turned green they took off then I took off and just like that I was even with them. I mashed the pedal a lil harder just trying to maintain about a half a car lenth lead to keep it close. I really was toying with them ....all of this is from a 98 deville. Well just to let them know I was playing I WOT and it seems as though Bernadette hesistated long enough to take a deep breathe into her intake and man

she snapped my neck back. Whew what a feeling. I really forgot about the Grand Am as I was so impressed the the thrust and pwr of this Northstar. I realized that now I'm doing 70mph in a 45...........got scared (police) and wisely broke it down.

While decending back down to a tolerable speed the Grand Am finally caught up

and shot passed me and did a u-turn at the next light. I mean these guys actually

missed their turn due to their determination to catch me. Oh by the way I made it

to work on time :lol::D

Thats awsome! Why would they be out a 5:30 in the morning wanting to race? LOL! I would be half asleep and not even notice what was going on! :lol:

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

Ya grand ams are faster than alot of cars around here they will beat most of the ricers but they won't keep up with the northstars for a second! Was it a V6 grand am or a 4cyl?

user posted image

Some night I will take my dads grand am out and beat all the ricers I have beat in my car just so they know its pretty pethetic that my parents grocery getter can beat them HAHA!

user posted image

A Grand Am GT will surprise alot of folks. So will a Buick Regal GS. But who are we kidding here? For what a FWD NS Caddy is, it is relatively fast. But it is nothing special. A stock FWD NS is at best 6.5 in the 0-60, and high 14's in the 1/4 mile, again nothing special. The only thing I consider special about the performance of the old stock NS is the WOT when you are at 60 MPH. Now we are talking! What VVT did to the NS is incredible. In relative terms the old Caddy's are fast, considering what they are. Don't get me wrong, I love my 97 STS, but to brag about beating a Grand Am is not worth the energy. But look at the 60-80 times of the 2005 Mustang GT, and then time your own 97 STS in the 60-80, and you will find bragging rights worth mentioning! But you will never best that car in 0-60 or the 1/4, but you will surprise most 5 litre Stang owners. Choose a worthy battle before listing here!

could you have picked a more disgusting name for your car? :blink:

--Flyer

'99 'Vert 'Vette 45k

'97 SLS 55k

Deceased: <'68 Mustang 200+k>, <'86 GMC S-10 180+k>, <'86 VW GTI 180+k>, <'86 Seville 195+k>, <'93 Seville 175+k>

user posted image

For what a FWD NS Caddy is, it is relatively fast. But it is nothing special. A stock FWD NS is at best 6.5 in the 0-60, and high 14's in the 1/4 mile, again nothing special.

Well, be careful here. 6.5 seconds is the fastest I've ever seen in the 1/4 mile. Most Northstar Cadillacs, especially Devilles, are closer to the low-7s, which would make a race with a V6 Grand Am probably a pretty good race. Heck, I raced a 3.1L Grand Prix with chrome wheels the other day with our Grand Caravan, just because he pulled out into the lane next to me at a light, a lane that everyone knows ends just 100 yards last the intersection. Both vehicles were neck-and-neck, and he had to back off and get in behind me, where he was. Was it a fast race? Heck no. Was it exciting, to show some little kid that if he had put his money into performance mods rather than wheels, he might have been able to outrun mommy's minivan? Heck yeah! :)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I'm not for sure if it was a v6 or 4cyl. once again it was between 5:15-5:30 AM still dark outside plus all I was trying to do was make it to work on time. Bernadette is just a stock 98 base model deville....no mods. Even so WOT's feel

so awesome!!!!

STYES

I'll agree with what you're saying, but mind you in your post you said [but look at the 60-80 times of the 2005 Mustang GT, and then time your own 97 STS in the 60-80, and you will find bragging rights worth mentioning! But you will never best that car in 0-60 or the 1/4, but you will surprise most 5 litre Stang owners.] I don't

have a 97 STS. I wish I did, but all I have is just a stock 98 Deville and I'm quite happy with it. I wasn't looking to race anyone they were looking for me. Hopefully I can post a victory worth mentioning should a Mustang GT comes looking for trouble :D

Archived