CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

CTS handling in snow?

jh50

I would like to purchase a certified pre-owned Cadillac (no real timetable, I have been looking for a while). I really like the CTS mainly because of styling and price. My only concern is how it will handle in the snow. I live in Western NY and we get a lot of it during the winter. I would appreciate any input. Thanks.

If you're really concerned with winter/snow driving you'd be a WHOLE lot better off with a fwd Cadillac, imho. There really is no comparison. I've have some 4wd rigs here, and my fwd STS’s will give any of them a run up in the Sierras in winter. Conversely, I have some other very nice rwd cars that I wouldn’t dream of driving in the snow, given the choice.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

I agree with what BobD said. My Seville may be the best snow traction vehicle I have ever had. I have had 4x4 pick-ups for the past 12 years, and the SLS, in my opinion, is better in the snow, than all of them. I do not know what you are willing to spend, but 3-4 year old Seville's are selling for $14,000 - $20,000. Considering the new prce was over $45,000, that is a bargain in my book.

Don

"Modern warriors saddle iron horses of chrome."

There is absolutely no way that a cts would be snow friendly at all. My dad has one and he drives my seville if he needs to go somewhere in the snow due to the cts getting nowhere. He is very disappointed with it. But other than the snow thing it has been a great car!!

My FWD Seville is awsome in the snow! Its got the weight and its FWD put the two together and you have a car thats great in the snow!

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

If I would look for a car right now, I would definitely go for 1996 STS. They proved to be the best buy for the money. Get one with the lowest mileage possible, and you will be just fine. Any other STS or SLS after 95 would be also excellent choice.

1960 Sedan De Ville (sold)

1970 Coupe De Ville (sold)

1987 Mazda RX-7 (sold)

I remember the days when my dad put TIRE CHAINS on the rear wheels! But I did discover something this year with tires. Our car always had Goodyear RS-A's, and I didn't like them. So I went with Michelin Pilot Sport. A much better tire, but not in the snow, and they wear faster! I do not condone the purchase of any Goodyear tire, but they are better in snow. The fact that I have a front driver made the difference managable to say the least.

A Goodyear Eagle RS-A probably would be better than a Michelin Pilot Sport, especially since the RS-A has an M+S rating an the Pilot Sport does not. Michelin does have a Pilot Sport A/S tire (All Season), which I assume does have the M+S rating, but I still think you're comparing apples to oranges. A good Michelin equivalent to the Eagle RS-A would be a Pilot XGT H4, or even V4. These are All Season performance tires, and having owned two sets of the H4s, I can tell you their traction in the snow is excellent.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

A good Michelin equivalent to the Eagle RS-A would be a Pilot XGT H4, or even V4. These are All Season performance tires, and having owned two sets of the H4s, I can tell you their traction in the snow is excellent.

Ditto that. I have the V4's and they are much better than the RS-A's I had. Snow included.

Brad

----------------------------

1999 Deville Concours [sOLD]

Blk/Blk w/gold package

Archived