CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Prestone 50/50 pre-mix

gc_caddy

I saw that Prestone now has a 50/50 Extended life premixed coolant, for all makes, and for all types of coolant.

Has anyone used it? I'm assuming that it's pre-mixed DEXCOOL equivalent.

So is it OK to use for older "green-based" vehicles. I guess Prestone wouldn't market something that could cause harm, or lawsuits.

Bbobynski, Prestone does market an extended life coolant -- it's even orange in color. It says it meets the GM Dexcool spec. Are you saying that even Prestone's version of Dexcool has silicates? :(

I filled with Prestone extended life when I did my water pump change a few years ago (couldn't find Havoline), but now my local Wal-Mart is carrying Havoline, so I bought that when I did the water pump seal last month.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Prestone does market an orange 5/150 extended-life coolant that says on the front "GM Dexool Approved" or something like that. I always assumed that product in particular to be silicate-free (and I think it probably is). If it were green and/or didn't specifically say "Dexcool approved" then I agree, it probably would have silicates.

Yeah...I saw it too. Getting ready to fix a PO128 on the wifes 2003 Saturn VUE. Slow thermostat action code. Saw the 50/50 premix stuff. Paying for water added? ........I'll pass.....

Just looked...I bought a gallon of regular straight Prestone. It says 'GM approved' right on the label.

When I say standard Prestone......I should add its not the green stuff....its the orange replacement stuff....

The pre-mix might not be a bargain depending on where Prestone is getting the water.

They claim their "All Makes All Models Extended Life Antifreeze" is organic acid based.

From the Prestone web pages....

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I think the premix has its place...I keep a gallon of the premix in the trunk...just in case. You never know where you'll be if a hose decides to start leaking.

I'd keep one in the Dodge too, but I haven't found any premixed gallons of Chrysler HOAT yet. :)

I was in the auto parts store the other day to purchase coolant and read all the labels on the pre-mix 50/50 stuff. I just looked to see if the antifreeze was Dex-cool equivilant. The Peak anti freeze said Dex-cool and it was the least expensive of the bunch, all long life, so I got that. I might add I needed the stuff because my wife was driving her dad's 2000 Deville and the low coolant light came on temporarily. I wanted to have some on hand for this sort of thing. Turns out the levels were perfect and the idiot light has not come on since. What could cause a false reading like that?

Prestone claims a patent number on the universal long life coolant so that would also indicate that it is different from DexCool.

Yeah, is that their new "yellow" coolant, or whatever new color it is? I haven't actually seen that in stores yet. I was talking about their orange "Dexcool" compatible coolant. It's sold in a grey jug. I just went out into the garage (now that I'm home) and found a jug. It does say "Silicate and Phosphate Free" on the front, along with the "GM Dexcool Approved" message.

There was also the "new" universal Prestone in the yellow jug that is available concentrated or premixed 50/50 that states that it is "long life" but then mandates that it is only long life if added to a system previously filled with long life coolant.

It sounds like that in essence, they've got a Dexcool-like coolant (silicate-free maybe) that they're marketing to everyone, and banking on the fact they don't read the fine print...because that's really the case with Dexcool as well -- it won't provide any long life benefit if installed where it wasn't already. So in that sense, it's really no different than Dexcool. But you're right -- Dexcool certainly isn't marketed as a universal extended life antifreeze, like Prestone is doing with their yellow concoction.

Archived