CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Forbes: Cadillac Needs A Family Of SUVs Like The 2017 XT5 To Make A Dent In The Premium Market

This appears to be an XT5 review disguised as a market preview:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/samabuelsamid/2017/01/02/cadillac-needs-a-family-of-suvs-like-the-2017-xt5-to-make-a-dent-in-the-premium-market/#58569c323a79

The XT5 starts at $40 but the test example was $68 -- I think Cadillac is overdoing this gap.  A fully equipped XT5 should be no more than 40-50% above a base version, or around $55-60.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I agree with you Bruce, that Cadillac has too big a gap between entry and full blown glitz.  I think there shouldn't be a base model and the minimum should be the Luxury.  My XT5 came in around 47k (Luxury model) and lacks some equipment that is standard on more 'pedestrian' type entries (from other manufacturers).  I like my car a lot and give it a solid B+; whether I get to truly love my vehicle, only time will tell.  I think the reason for such a widespread price difference, is in order, to justify the four trim levels.  I think three (trim levels) Cadillac could pull off; they need to leave the base model to people looking to GMC or Chevrolet (JMO).  All that being said, I was probably a 'hairs-breath' away from getting a GMC Acadia Denali.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

Cadillac needs a gas/electric hybrid like the Lincoln MKZ Hybrid.  I recently bought a 2011 MKZ Hybrid. Very nice, but it does lack a few features my former '05 STS has, such as:

1. You need a key to unlock and start.  There is a keypad; however, it is really nothing more than a backup way to unlock in case for some reason key is locked inside.  I have to physically lock door because it does not have automatic door locking system and no fob that allows easy access;

2. THZ audio system is not as good as Bose;

3. I like Cadillac's navigation British lady who gave me driving directions.  The MKZ navigation voice feature is not the most warm and friendly sounding.  Also, if you deviate from the set navigation route it may not reset navigation based on current location.  This, to me, is a major issue with Ford's navigation--at least this is my experienced based on a trip.  Luckily, I knew where I was at, so I ignored navigation and cancelled it.

4. The MKZ has slow acceleration given it has a 2.5L coupled with an electric motor for a total of only 191 hp.  Then again, I am getting over 35 mpg, so this is the obvious trade off; 

5. Trunk is smallish because battery pack is located behind rear seat;

Overall the MKZ Hybrid is a nice car.  It gets good reviews.  In 2013, styling was changed to the current version which does not get any better gas mileage then the 2011, which was the first year for the MKZ hybrid.

Cadillac needs to catch up by developing a semi-luxury or luxury gas/electric hybrid like the MKZ. 

Also noted; there is to be a new Traverse revealed at the Detroit Auto Show, and just yesterday I got an alert from GMC that they are also going to announce a new vehicle on January 8th (it had the same silhouette as the Chevy Traverse teaser).  With that being said, and Cadillac currently 'very light' on the SUV/CUV curve, can Cadillac be that far from also revealing a "Traverse"  sized vehicle (I think not).

Chuck

I may have been a little off-base; the new GMC reveal was for the '18 Terrain.  But I'm sure Cadillac is working on some more CUV's (of their own).

Chuck

Archived