CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

bbobynski-Synthetic Lubricants

pats37

Guru,

I ran into a guy on a stock message board that is a rep for a company in Dallas that has a patent for a synthetic oil that never wears out.

Here are the facts as he stated them.

Test results: Have run 12-3500 Cat engines on off shore drilling rigs for 8 years without oil changes.

They "use special metal decontaminators, soot removers, spinners and b-pass filtration technology."

Every 1000 hrs they break down an engine to test viscosity index, acidity, and total base number.

They have documented, by a third independant party, no wear on any service part.

The oil driller has saved $58,000.00 "per engine" by not having to change oil constantly.

It is 5W-40 with a 172 viscosity index.

You cannot use it in a new engine because the rings would never seat and you would burn oil. You can start using it after about 5,000 mi. with standard oil.

It lowers operating temperature in all engines.

Question: Is this even possible? Would it work on Alum block engines?

The guy seems credible but I am very dubious of these claims.

Would appreciate your input, Thanks.

IF it is true, it sounds like you would need a specialized filtration system to use it. Also it would be pretty pointless to use it on the northstar. Since it seems like synthetics sneak through the prosity of the metal better than traditional oils. Most northstars would use some oil, probably faster than the traditional oils. The periodic top offs will still have to get done.

I wonder how they keep other / chemical contaminants out of the oil. Interesting though, is there any literature about this product?

Every 1000 hrs they break down an engine to test viscosity index, acidity, and total base number.

They break down an engine every 42 days and they SAVE money?!?

Question: Is this even possible? Would it work on Alum block engines?

Aluminum blocks use steel sleeves just like iron blocks, don't they?

. . . .  but I am very dubious of these claims.

I think you answered your own question. If it sounds too good to be true . . . .

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I have to email him to find out. I want to hear from bbobynski before I do.

I do know it costs $7.58/ Qt. in cases of 24.

Why would I need to buy a case of 24 bottles of this stuff if I don't have to change the oil? :lol:

I think I know what type of oil it is, snake oil.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Did you happen to ask for the patent number so that we can look it up and see what it says...?? I doubt that it exists.

As an inventor I can assure you that kind of product would not be brought to US market without applying for US patent. Look at the package for US Patent #, or "Patent Pending". If you give me the name of the inventor or the company I can find the related issued US patent in seconds.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Mobile claims its Mobile1 synthetic oil will last 15K miles guaranteed. If you really want to experiment, try Mobile1 for 15K miles. It's not cheap either, but at least you have recourse in court if it doesn't work. As for me, I'll just stick with conventional oil. I'm not wasting money.

haha, i was reading this...thinking of the commercial I had just seen a half hour ago with mobil oil and 15000 printed on the label. here is the press release as well,

Mobile oil press release

I didnt read it.

Question:

Will the oil life monitor actually last "longer" than say The mobil 7500 compared to the 15000?

I'd be curious for someone to find out, cause I use regular oil. But it would def. be an interesting experiment.

Christopher Petro

94 sts

67 coupe de Ville

user posted image

I'm just waiting for Mobil to be sued because some idiot is going to drink or inject the stuff thinking it's a male sexual enhancement product. :blink::lol:

What? It will make me last longer? Is it covered by health insurance? :lol:

Did you happen to ask for the patent number so that we can look it up and see what it says...?? I doubt that it exists.

As an inventor I can assure you that kind of product would not be brought to US market without applying for US patent. Look at the package for US Patent #, or "Patent Pending". If you give me the name of the inventor or the company I can find the related issued US patent in seconds.

As an inventor I can assure you that kind of product would not be brought to US market without applying for US patent.

Sadly, I must report to you that the USPO has, on at least three ocassions I'm aware of, issued patents for "perpetual motion" machines. Likely, there are more. Of course, we know perpetual motion is a dream.

The mere existence of a "patent" offers no guarantee whatsoever.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

bbobynski,

Thanks for reply. But there was never any thought on my part on investment nor any discussion of such as it is a private company.

The discussion started because he is using it in his car. Further discussions with him since my post here revealed it would be good for about twice the normal interval in an auto engine. The main reason being that conventional oil filters work to about 40 micron particles whereas special filters down to 2 microns would be required to use this continually.

Basically, I'm not interested as the price doesn't seem worth it. He says the main difference is the lower operating temperature. My position is unless it is in the manual it is not going in my car. I was just intrigued that there was a product like that for any application. I certainly was not trying to sell it to anyone.

Regards,

I know I can go to the web site and read about it, would someone briefly explain the benefits of synthetic oils? There is a sizable difference in price between natural oil and synthetic oil. However given that you don't need to change the oil as often the cost difference between the two is minimized a bit.

I recall bbobynski saying that the majority of not all particulate, shavings, filings, etc., are trapped by the first filter and that makes sense. Additional particulate should not be present. Assuming that the oil is clean if anything, the parts should be polishing each other and no abrasive should be present. Any particulate that would present would be caught by the filter.

What concerns me is, and what is important to me is, what causes an oil filter to by-pass? In the event of by-pass, can particulate escape from the filter? If it escapes is it possible for it to lodge in a bearing and begin scoring if ever so slighly? If that is the case, severely cold weather, substantially thickening the oil and causing the oil filter to bypass and pull particulate out of the filter could be an engines nemosis or any condition that causes the filter to by-pass. That is assuming that particulate can escape on by-pass. I would think that synthetic would minimize cold weather oil filter by pass.

Its possible that the above paragraph is way off base and once particulate is in the oil filter its sucked into a fold and trapped. Its also possible that there is virtually no particulate. I believe that is probably the case. Furthermore, I don't think there is any way for particulate to get by the filter if there was any or by the rings.

The above a round about way of me saying, how effective is an oil filter at 15,000 miles? If you ran the longer life Mobil 1 for 15,000 miles would you change the filter every 15,000 miles also or would you change it more often? What is the filter actually catching?

I understand that it maintains it viscosity better when hot when compared to natural oil, a good thing in the summer.

Another thing that concerns me is, lets face the facts folks, I LOVE the Northstar but the Northstar is a leaker plain and simple. Synthetic oil is thinner and tends to leak worse than natural oil, why would I do that?

So tell me why I should spend more for synthetic and how the benefits out weight the negatives I perceive.. I hope the above makes some sense. Mike

I'm just waiting for Mobil to be sued because some idiot is going to drink or inject the stuff thinking it's a male sexual enhancement product. :blink::lol:

You in the market for this stuff?? :lol::lol::lol:

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

So, if oils begin to 'last' longer would the filter be changed before the oil change is necessary?

Amsoil states that their oil will last 15,000 miles if I am not mistaken with an oil filter change at 7,500 miles. I've been reading more and more about the stuff and I am starting to think about trying it out. I some of the guys I work with have in their trucks and cars, run it in their boats and snowmobiles too and say its great. The one guys runs two cars 70 miles a day back and forth to the city and he says without Amsoil he would be changing his oil every month and a half.

Spence

Archived