CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Stalling

cadillacdub

• 1 month later...

My 02 STS is intermittently stalling now too. But VERY intermittently. i.e. In the 6 months that I have being loving this car it has done it 4 times. Three as described by CadillacDub once stopped in a parking lot.

The last two times it did it I stopped at my first chance and collected the codes.... Nothing out of the ordinary, except a P0385 (CURRENT Too!) Crank Sensor . OK simple I think I'll get the dealer to replace them at my next oil change... But when I check the codes the next day P0385 is GONE! :o No history or nothing! :ph34r:

As I've noted in the past I have a fairly good dealer, but they don't like investigating "History" codes and they definitely won't fix a code that isn't there... Why didn't the "Current P0385" Generate a "History P0385"????

I'll clean the throttle body tomorrow...

PS the car has only 200 Miles to go on the factory warrantee!

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

OK, I cleaned my throttle body as per instructions posted by Guru, Scotty and others... As always, thanks for your help…

I used my finger instead of a toothbrush :lol: It wasn’t all that dirty, but still a fair amount of black deposits were removed... Car seems to be running a fair bit better but that could just be in my head…

But that leaves the question why does the car ignore “Current P0385” codes and doesn’t place these in History? Very Odd..

caddy.jpg

Greg

Ah if it were only that easy... As I said, my dealer REFUSES (no nice way to say it) to fix any issue that isn't happening at that second and/or supported by a code... Current ones STONGLY preferred...

If I were to take the car in a say…”could you look at it, it stalls once in a while”… They will smile take the car and return it 4 hours later with a work order that states they tested the car and it didn’t stall during the time they had it…i.e. nothing to resolve.

If it had a history “bad crank sensor code”… or even a history “stall detected” code this would help but my car has nothing in the computer… Its like she thinks I turned her off with the key…

caddy.jpg

Greg

The related history code and the reports of stalling should be enough; as has been discussed on this site, the 2000+ crank sensors have been revised several times. I would find another dealer!

OK, I cleaned my throttle body as per instructions posted by Guru, Scotty and others... As always, thanks for your help…

I used my finger instead of a toothbrush :lol: It wasn’t all that dirty, but still a fair amount of black deposits were removed... Car seems to be running a fair bit better but that could just be in my head…

But that leaves the question why does the car ignore “Current P0385” codes and doesn’t place these in History? Very Odd..

By the way, don't use your fingers next time some of these chemicals dry your skin out and crack it, the blades are sharp, and some by products are carcinogenic....like used oil for example... better safe than sorry later

How about using the snapshot feature next time it happens.

This sounds interesting/promising... How do I do this?

I'm almost tempted to take a digital picture of the code when it happens...

caddy.jpg

Greg

The related history code and the reports of stalling should be enough; as has been discussed on this site, the 2000+ crank sensors have been revised several times. I would find another dealer!

I think there is also a service bulletin from GM on the 2000+ crank sensors.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• 2 weeks later...

Archived