CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Northstar Article

ed blaq

Another unusual feature you may see is a liquid-cooled alternator on the DeVille and Seville. Cadillacs are crammed with electrical accessories that put quite a load on the charging system, so using liquid cooling helps prolong the life of the alternator. In 2001, GM went back to an air-cooled alternator to "eliminate the coolant tubes and potential leak points."

Darn good article, but I had never heard of the alternator being cooled by the coolant lines. Is that true?

Spence

Speaking of Northstar articles, keep your eye in the upcoming months on Hot Rod magazine. I hear they may be featuring the new supercharged Northstar ‘V’ motors as one of the latest American greats.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

Another unusual feature you may see is a liquid-cooled alternator on the DeVille and Seville. Cadillacs are crammed with electrical accessories that put quite a load on the charging system, so using liquid cooling helps prolong the life of the alternator. In 2001, GM went back to an air-cooled alternator to "eliminate the coolant tubes and potential leak points."

Darn good article, but I had never heard of the alternator being cooled by the coolant lines. Is that true?

Spence

My daughter just bought a '99 Seville and so I naturaly bought a '99 service manual. I can vouch for the fact that the '99 alternator is water cooled. I only hope I never have to change it.

It didn't say a thing about the alternators being cooled by the coolant lines. It said that some aleranators contained a cooling fluid, not being cooled by coolant lines.

They do indeed have coolant lines, tied into the cooling system. Been there, seen it.. ;)

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

I think the alternators were water-cooled for only a few years...maybe '98 and '99, maybe also '00. I think I remember Bbobynski saying they quit doing that because they were having trouble with leaking. And yes, it also turns a simple alternator change into something much more.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Here is an interesting article I dug up on the Northstar....

http://www.babcox.com/editorial/us/us100232.htm

Yes, it was a very interesting article. I wonder if there's one out there regarding my 4.9L engine.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Archived