CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Smoked an Eclipse Spyder

AaronM

OOPS! I wish I could edit the typo in the title!

HAHA :D

I was on my way home and this newer red Eclipse was riding my but. It had all those wonderful features: Japanese Pipe, Wing, Bodykit, Loads of Sticker! Up ahead was a red light and we were right next to each other. No one was around so I thought what the heck. I looked over and he was with his girlfriend. What is it with ricers always wanting to race especially when with a girl.

He revved his engine. Ick! I returned the favor a gave him a little V8 breathing through a Flowmaster :D. The light turned green and I hit it. I gained a car length on him right off the bat and I pulled away easily! I love that low end torque on these 4.9L engined! Speed limit was 55 and I brought it up to 60 and shut down. At the next light I looked over and his girlfriend was laughing and he sure was not, haha! It was fun. :P

18 Year Old Male

Black 1992 STS 4.9L

90,XXX Miles

Flowmaster 80 series muffler :D

Now heres a car that would be awsome to go around smoking ricers in of course it wouldn't keep up with a northstar cadillac but i bet this thing can go! Can you imagine the looks on there faces when this blew by them! I just might have to buy this it's got the big 350 LT1 and everything take a look at it!

The Best Japanese Eater!!!!!

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

I was on my way home and this newer red Eclipse was riding my but. It had all those wonderful features: Japanese Pipe, Wing, Bodykit, Loads of Sticker!  Up ahead was a red light and we were right next to each other. No one was around so I thought what the heck. I looked over and he was with his girlfriend. What is it with ricers always wanting to race especially when with a girl.

He revved his engine. Ick! I returned the favor a gave him a little V8 breathing through a Flowmaster :D. The light turned green and I hit it. I gained a car length on him right off the bat and I pulled away easily! I love that low end torque on these 4.9L engined! Speed limit was 55 and I brought it up to 60 and shut down. At the next light I looked over and his girlfriend was laughing and he sure was not, haha! It was fun. :P

His girlfriend was laughing at him? Oops, another "domestic violence case" in the works.

People have no idea how much torque power these 4.9 engines have in the low end. They are pretty amazing.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Would a 4.9 be faster than a northstar off the line?

I believe so.

18 Year Old Male

Black 1992 STS 4.9L

90,XXX Miles

Oh I new that the 0-60 is better with a northstar I just meant like if a northstar and a 4.9 seville were at a stop light would the 4.9 pull out ahead at first or would the northstar! :lol:

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

That is why the 4.9L engines are known as Boulevard Beasts, haha! They will win all day block to block. It would probably be ahead of a N* until 25 or so. Then, I think the N* would walk away easily. The 4.9L engines sort of run out of breath on the top end. Don't get me wrong, they still will put you in your seat a little, but not as much as a N* would! I am N* envious! I am counting the days until I graduate from High School! My parents said that if I get a good scholarship, I can get a 2001+ STS w/ a Corsa. I was also thinking of keeping the STS as a winter car and then get a C4 corvette for the summer, but I don't want to deal with storage and all that.

BYE! :D

18 Year Old Male

Black 1992 STS 4.9L

90,XXX Miles

I was on my way home and this newer red Eclipse was riding my but. It had all those wonderful features: Japanese Pipe, Wing, Bodykit, Loads of Sticker!  Up ahead was a red light and we were right next to each other. No one was around so I thought what the heck. I looked over and he was with his girlfriend. What is it with ricers always wanting to race especially when with a girl.

His girlfriend was laughing at him? Oops, another "domestic violence case" in the works.

People have no idea how much torque power these 4.9 engines have in the low end. They are pretty amazing.

The 4.9L is a very high torque engine, mated with a very high torque transmission. The 4.9L apparently produces enough torque power at the low end that yes, it can outgun an older Northstar from a dead stop.

"0 to 60 in under 6 seconds" was, I believe, the original 1992 advertising for the Seville with the 4.9L engine. And believe me, this car can do it! LOL!!

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

"0 to 60 in under 6 seconds" was, I believe, the original 1992 advertising for the Seville with the 4.9L engine.  And believe me, this car can do it!  LOL!!

0-60 in under 6 seconds would be a dream for a 4.9L engine. I think the fastest Bruce got his '92 STS to go was 7.2 seconds (and that was with mods), but he can clarify for me. http://www.caddyinfo.com/page2.html

Without the benefit of a torque curve for the 4.9L, I bet nowhere on the chart does the 4.9L make more torque than the LD8 Northstar. The LD8 Northstar is already pushing over 250 lb*ft at 1500 rpm (according to GMpowertrain's chart). The torque PEAK of the 4.9L is 275 lb*ft I think, up around 3000-3500 rpm probably. The 4.9L used the exact same 4T80-E transmission the Northstar uses.

I'd say that if you put a 4.9L STS (with the 3.33 transaxle) against an L37 Northstar, you'd get the NS up to around 30-40 mph. But soon after, the Northstar would just suck it dry. I have no doubt the 4.9L is an excellent engine, but 0-60 in under 6 seconds just ain't happenin'.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

">The 4.9L apparently produces enough torque power at the low end that yes, it can outgun an older Northstar from a dead stop."<

LOL LOL

I don't think so, Marika.

I had a 1992 4.9 STS, a 1993 and 2000 4.6 STS all at the same time.

The 1993 is the quickest of the lot.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

Just curious, What were the factory HP and Torque ratings on the 4.9?

I have grown to love the smooth reving "top end power" of the DOHC 32valve NS (and other engines of similar architecture) But in my opinion there is really nothing like a large displacement cam-in-block OHV engine! the huge ammounts of tire ripping, gut punching torque on tap in the low revs. I bet that 4.9 is much more a beast than people give you credit for!

Heck, I love the look on the ricer kiddies' faces when my 7.5l (to put in relative terms) 20ft long Pontiac hooks up beside 'em! Talk about something they're not expecting!

Just curious,  What were the factory HP and Torque ratings on the 4.9?

4.9L: 200hp/275ft.lbs 2.97 gears

4.6L (93&94): 295hp/290ft.lbs. 3.71 gears

4.6L (2000): 300hp/290ft.lbs. 3.71 gears

STS: My 92 4.9L ran the traps in the mid 15.s 0-60 in the low 7's

STS'S: The 93 4.6L N* runs low 14's, the 2000 ran mid 14's. 0-60 in the mid 6's

This is all things possible being equal, 1/8 tank of gas, even the same set of skinny tires I had just for my weds night runs with the Caddys ;)

user posted image

0-60 under 6 seconds? That would be nice! Maybe I need a supercharger, haha B)!

18 Year Old Male

Black 1992 STS 4.9L

90,XXX Miles

"0 to 60 in under 6 seconds" was, I believe, the original 1992 advertising for the Seville with the 4.9L engine.  And believe me, this car can do it!  LOL!!

0-60 in under 6 seconds would be a dream for a 4.9L engine. I think the fastest Bruce got his '92 STS to go was 7.2 seconds (and that was with mods), but he can clarify for me. http://www.caddyinfo.com/page2.html

Without the benefit of a torque curve for the 4.9L, I bet nowhere on the chart does the 4.9L make more torque than the LD8 Northstar. The LD8 Northstar is already pushing over 250 lb*ft at 1500 rpm (according to GMpowertrain's chart). The torque PEAK of the 4.9L is 275 lb*ft I think, up around 3000-3500 rpm probably. The 4.9L used the exact same 4T80-E transmission the Northstar uses.

I'd say that if you put a 4.9L STS (with the 3.33 transaxle) against an L37 Northstar, you'd get the NS up to around 30-40 mph. But soon after, the Northstar would just suck it dry. I have no doubt the 4.9L is an excellent engine, but 0-60 in under 6 seconds just ain't happenin'.

That really was Cadillac's advertisement for the 1992 Seville. Zero to Sixty in Six. And I'm sure brand new, they probably did do it.

That really was Cadillac's advertisement for the 1992 Seville. Zero to Sixty in Six. And I'm sure brand new, they probably did do it.

I never saw or heard of that add, but it doesn't matter. It's just plain and simple impossible.... unless you add one hell of a tail wind and a nice downhill slope.

user posted image

Archived