CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

EGR cleaning

STYES

From my experiences, cleaning the EGR valve and passage is not necessary on a car that is driven hard at times, especially when the WOT proceudre is frequently used. The problem I have is that my car is the only basis I have for this. All others I've seen sure could use a good cleaning, but I am pretty sure these cars are never driven hard. Please share your thoughts on this one. Thanks!

I've cleaned mine a few times.....May not need it because i do my WOT while jumping on the toll road....I guess I do it because it's so darn easy to do...Pintle never had been sticky, but I needed something to do after watching half of a Bears or Bulls game...If i didn't exit to the garage , I woulda been buying a few TV's.. :lol:

Russ

Thanks Guru, this was the kind of response I was looking for. But I still have querys. What else could possibly contribute to my relatively clean egr? I do know that exhaust gas recirculation is a "part throttle" operation per se, but I am trying to understand why I do not have the carbon build up compared to most other cars I have serviced. What other factors are there to consider?

I meant other NS cars Guru. The underlying "passages" I think you are referring to are also clean. I know what you mean with the 4.9 cars, but "grandma 4.9's" seem to show less carbon than "grandma 4.6 cars". This is "in field service" but I don't see many 4.9's these days. Before you bash me, I have nothing against 4.9 powerplants, they are solid engines with good low end torque.

Archived