CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cat Converter for 2000 Seville

DaveCarter

What is 'Occaisionally'?

Once a day?

Once a week?

Once a month?

With a OBDII system....its really going to need a GM cat installed. A good $700-800 + bucks....

There is a kind of way to rewake the cat up. Same as O2 sensor cleaning.

In park, hot coolant car, sit and hold the idle at 2500 rpm for 2 minutes. This is O2 sensor test from the GM Tech 1. Its a O2 sensor cleaning procedure.

If its a hot cat/ cold water shock failure you will have to replace the cat. These cats often make noises like broken chunks etc...

Just for info....my old "93 had a aftermarket cat installed. To get it to pass the Nashville snifer....I had to rev the engine to 2500-3000 when I was the next guy in line. This gets the exhaust good and hot and gets the cat good and hot and working. It draws some stares from the line techs but who cares....the car gets passed for the year....

One last point...cats rarely go bad....its either a misfire....or a cold water satuartion that kills them.

One last thought.....the OBDII cats are under federal warranty for 8 years 80K miles!

Caddy John- On OBDII vehicles....there is a O2 sensor after the cat converter. It should not have a voltage swing like a pre cat O2 sensor would. It should remain very low signal wise IF the cat is working ok.

If the cat is not ok.....the aft cat O2 sensor will swing high/low voltage wise just like a up stream O2 sensor. Its this upswing that will set the code indicating the cat is not scrubbing the exhaust.

The good news is if he is under 80,000 miles......in that case the cat is under federal warranty.

Some may think that all emisions equipment is covered 5 year/ 50 k. This is no longer the case under OBDII Fed regulations....the PCM and Cat con are coverd for 8 years or 80K miles. But all other components....technically... under federal law....are only covered 2 years /24 k miles.

That being said....most dealers will cover emission equipment up to the standard vehicle warranty of 3 year / 36 k. But they dont have to.....

I have a 99 sts.My cat went bad it sounded like rocks in the cat every time I revd it up.I went with a catco high flow cat.You can get at summit racing .I paid about $65 for it and $$40 to installit.IT has a hole for a o2 with a plug in it. The catco cat is shorter than OEM so the istaller does not need to touch it.The extra HP is worth it all.Good luck. I say go for it!!!!

In park, hot coolant car, sit and hold the idle at 2500 rpm for 2 minutes. This is O2 sensor test from the GM Tech 1. Its a O2 sensor cleaning procedure.

Is it the same procedure for a 94 STS? Or are they different setups?

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

Archived