CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Who here warms up their Cadillacs?

Cadillac STS

I'm not sure about an exact answer, but I always warm up everything from snowmobile, dirt bike, 4 wheeler to my Caddy. Can't hurt anything letting it warm up for a few minutes.

"Cadillac, it's not a car, it's an obsession"

-W.Kingdon

If the car is parked in the elements, really cold, I always allow it to warm up at least 3-5 minutes (depending on the temperature).

The oil gets hard overnight and it makes sense to me to get it warm so it is flowing properly. I don't know what exact physics apply here, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

No need for an elaborate warm-up procedure. Just use common sense (like what everyone is doing). Mine never gets THAT cold (parks in the garage), but I still will let it idle for 20-30 seconds before backing out. I never get on it hard until it reaches proper operating temperature. In fact, most of my driving in general is done at or below 2000 rpm, so it's not an issue. But whenever I do wind it out, I always wait until after everything is warmed up well.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Nope, I don't warm up my Cadillac. I live in Southern California and in Ventura county, it is illegal to warm up your car in the driveway. If the police spots your car warming up, they confiscate your keys and give you a $70 ticket. Once you pay the $70 fine and learn your lesson, they give your keys back. I guess there was a problem with car thieves stealing cars that were warming up.

IPB Image

Ed,

The thieves would have a hard time stealing my car with me in it.

I assume in S. Cal. they are "cooling it off" rather than warming up. Guess you could have some fun with a remote starter, eh?

Judge: Was the car running when you issued the citation?

Officer: No, but it was when I was going toward it.

Judge: Case dismissed.

In very cold weather 30 degrees and below, I warm mine up for about 5 minutes, I know its not necessary but that's what I do... plus I take it easy the she gets warmed up! :P

I can't help but compare my car to my own body! I could not imagine sleeping in the DRIVEWAY, in 20 degrees weather, waking up at 7 AM, putting on a pair of sneakers, trotting out to the curb, and then sprinting to the corner WITHOUT warming up! :blink::lol: It ain't happening! There goes my KNEE (which equates to STRUT!) :D

I live in Southern California and in Ventura county, it is illegal to warm up your car in the driveway...I guess there was a problem with car thieves stealing cars that were warming up.

That...and it wastes a huge amount of fuel. Your car runs pretty rich when it's cold anyway. You might as well be getting some miles out of that fuel.

I do, for about a minute though. It's a good idea. I heard you should also let your engine run for about a minute too before cutting it off to burn off any extra gas. Its supposed to help your engine last a little bit longer.

I do, for about a minute though. It's a good idea. I heard you should also let your engine run for about a minute too before cutting it off to burn off any extra gas. Its supposed to help your engine last a little bit longer.

I live in Sothern Cali and it really never gets all that cold here, the coolest it has ever been in the morning I'd have to say in the mid 40s

But anyhoo I heard that if you did run your car hard that you should let it idle a bit before shutting it down.

I live in Central California and my Eldorado is garaged so I never warm it up per say. I pull it out of the garage and manually lock the garage, no garage opener, so that is probably 20- 30 seconds. Then it's a 1/4 mile of under 40 to the corner, and then 2 miles at about 50-55 MPH to the interstate, or town. By then the motor is up to temp.

I live in Southern California and in Ventura county, it is illegal to warm up your car in the driveway...I guess there was a problem with car thieves stealing cars that were warming up.

That...and it wastes a huge amount of fuel. Your car runs pretty rich when it's cold anyway. You might as well be getting some miles out of that fuel.

That's right..... And it also causes more pollution which ruins the ozone which leads to global warming. What a terrible thing to warm up your engine besides it's illegal in Ventura.

IPB Image

That's right..... And it also causes more pollution which ruins the ozone which leads to global warming. What a terrible thing to warm up your engine besides it's illegal in Ventura.

Nothing to do with keeping your Caddy on the road, but....

The fact of global warming is not in question. Green Bay was under hundreds of feet of ice not so very long ago.

The cause is less clear. Ozone layer loss might, and could easily be a cyclical event (much like the eleven year sun spot cycle) with a yet to be determined periodocity.

Overlay the issue with global politics, global economics, and media feeding-frenzy, and the result is questionable public policy coming from elected officials in typical knee-jerk fashion. Squeaky wheel approach.

[soap box mode = OFF]

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

But anyhoo I heard that if you did run your car hard that you should let it idle a bit before shutting it down.

I think that really started with oil-cooled turbochargers. I've never heard that for a naturally-aspirated engine. The minute you let the car idle won't come close to overcoming the thermal surge that's going to hit it on the hot soak anyway, if that's what that theory is supposed to resolve.

Well I can see why in the south you wouldn't need to warm it up! But up here when its -30 celcius I like to warm my car up a little! Not just so it will be a little warmer inside the car but won't it be better for the engine starting it and letting it run for 5 mins than going rather than start it up and put it in drive and go! The oil would be so thick from the cold that it wouldn't even have time to reach all the parts!

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

Mine is garage kept so I usually let it warm up for about 2 or three minutes in park, then put it in gear for about another minute to wake up the tranny. An old auto shop teacher said this is a good idea. I also try never to get the tach above 3K until it reaches operating temp.

Any body else ever hear of warming up their tranny like this? My passengers usually think I'm just a little to anal.

I know that whenever I start my caddy I just wait long enough for me to get my seat belt on and then I leave.

As far as cool downs, after shutting off your car if you pop the hood to let it cool, it allows for a faster better cooling process which then does not keep excessive amounts of unnecessary heat under the hood. This then allows for longer lasting components such as hoses and electrical which would be more easily susceptible to wear and cracking due to the prolonged amount of heat exposure. So by simply raising that hood you are saving your parts some life and allowing your car to cool most naturally.

Archived